Entropy continued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new entropy incident... all I wanted was a hair cut, but my Flowbee wasn't sucking like normal. The obvious lead suspect was my Hoover "bagless" upright... Apparently they have multiple filters inside that need to be cleaned. It kind of makes my old vacuum with the hepa filter built into the disposable bags look smart. 🤔 Since I never bothered with filters during over a year and a half in service. I let my fingers do some walking and ordered a new filter set (due in Thurs).

For chuckles I decided to see if I could clear the filters enough to get the Hoover hoovering. I scraped a layer of lint off the bottom filter. The top filter is inside the dust canister. According to the you-rube video the top simply(?) unscrews apart. After refusing to unscrew for me since yesterday (I'm old), I decided to grab a hammer from my tool room and try a little percussive persuasion. Apparently once the Hoover saw that I was serious it released and avoided getting hit. I cleaned the top and bottom filters well enough to get the Hoover sucking and tried to cut my hair again.

Once again no love with the Flowbee. It just didn't suck. It behaved like it was blocked. I took it apart and while there was some oily hair clippings inside the cutting head, no visible blockage, but still no suck. As I was putting it back together, I noticed a huge air gap in the plastic Flowbee hose. The cheap plastic ribbed hose had about a 3/4" long slit near one end. The fix was easy enough, I cut the hose about one inch shorter and reattached it.

My hair is now trimmed better than my rain ditches. :cool:

I checked the Flowbee website and they do not sell replacement hoses, they sell a replacement hose with cutter head assembly for around $100 but the hose alone is probably only worth a couple dollars. It is fixed for now but I don't trust the hose.

I will try to contact the Flowbee folks. Apparently this is a rare failure.

JR
After getting zero response from Flowbee about purchasing some replacement hose from them I bought the cheapest suction hose I could find from McMaster Carr. At $3/foot it is probably 10x what that oem hose cost. I added screw clamps just to be extra secure but they probably aren't needed. The hose is a tight fit. It was a little more difficult to repair than from first glance. The power cord runs inside the suction hose requiring complete disassembly before putting it back together again.

JR

IMG_20240515_124854292~2.jpg

I bought the cheapest suction hose I could find from McMaster Carr. At $3/foot it is probably 10x what that oem hose cost. I added screw clamp

Nice work, old man. While I might have pressed an old vacuum cleaner hose into service, your solution is elegant, super strong, and visually appealing. Overkill can be a good thing, and you get to enjoy that the heady sense of self satisfaction one derives from completing a successful home brewed project for a long time to come. Score one for JR. --- James/K8JHR

when it was advertised on TV it became a 'punchline' --or would be a meme today

I used to be more frugal, and did home barbering--yesterday I paid a skilled person for a haircut and they used a clippers connected to a central vacuum manifold to rough in the 'doo.

when it was advertised on TV it became a 'punchline' --or would be a meme today
Yes I recall that. It works well for very short cuts. Longer hairstyles are more difficult. I don't even try.
I used to be more frugal, and did home barbering--yesterday I paid a skilled person for a haircut and they used a clippers connected to a central vacuum manifold to rough in the 'doo.
I suspect the air leak in the suction hose may have been there for a while. I replaced the blades in January of this year to get it cutting better. I expect the weak suction affected the hair cutting ability. Now it is cutting like new. :cool:
===
When I was a kid my mom cut our hair. I suspect it helped her make ends meet. I recall one time in high school my hair was getting a little shaggy and a couple girls said it was looking good. I begged my mother to cut it short again. 🤔 I outgrew that aversion.

JR

Back