Studio Pr*jects B1 capsule and general question..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

ok so i have a pair of these and they are decent enough, however I opened them up the other day to take another look inside and noticed something that I am not familiar enough with to know if it is correct or not.. The rear portion of the capsule is a clear plastic with holes drilled through it, and the front portion is brass with holes through it. the holes are arranged in rows in both pieces that *could* align with each other perfectly but seem to be rotated 90deg from each other. now, my question is: what would happen if you aligned all those holes up? does the rear membrane also have a tension like the front and how do you tighten them up?

I haven't touched the capsules yet since i don't know a thing about them and wish to NOT screw them up. i haven't opened any other LDC mics to see how they are made either.

:thumb:

that is the standard 797 cardiod only setup as best I can tell. I don't know the history but my best guess it was inspired by the 103 capsule. The older rode cardiod only look like 797 made capsule. If you turn the plate the time delay might change.

The rear plastic plate is nothing but a dust cap. As a fixed cardioid only, all you need to be concerned about is the front. You want to keep dust out of the capsule so we use a plastic plate with a trim ring to hold it in place. It is not tensioned. It is glued on as well, so you can't turn it, and you don't want to...

This does not effect anything as you only use the front plate on the B1...So no worries, and nothing of concern to the performance of the mic....

oh i don't mean a HF correction plate OVER the capsule membranes like some other mics if that is what you mean. If you mean the plastic spacer between the brass backplate and the rear membrane then why did they include this at all?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3273

pictures of a rode nt1a capsule back

If the back holes line up with the thur holes from the front plate, the time delay section will change. The plastic backplate holes do not line up with the front plate IIRC in my c1,2003 and rodes with capsules like this.

The PET skin being just a dust cover makes sense but you still need the plastic plate for the design to work. It looks to be based on a k67/87, TLM103 dual backplate not a M7 K47 single backplate

thanks everyone. yes that nt1 capsule looks a lot like what i have only there are screws on both sides and the mounting is different.

Latest posts

Back