SSL Clone,whats the best Electrolytic Capacitors to use?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

Hi all,this is my first post on this forum,i am new to DIY pro audio gear.I am building an SSL clone compressor,I am trying to locate some Forever Electrolytic Capacitors,1000uF,35v,105ºC.

I've been told these are good Electrolytic Capacitors to use,can any one suggest where i can get hold of these in the UK,I've tried all the normal places with no luck,i.e.maplin/RS/Farnell,or is there a better Electrolytic Capacitors to use,another brand maybe?and does the choice of Electrolytic Capacitors change to sound much?Thanks for any help :grin:

I have some Forever caps, they came from Rapid Electronics. www.rapidelectronics.co.uk ... not that I specified that I wanted them, I just ordered 1000uf caps and that's what came, I have no idea how good or bad they are.

I also used them in my SSL clone.

don't let the brand of a component hold you up in your progression.
Use any brand you can get a hold of , then replace it later when you get the proper . then you can hear the difference for yourself and know .

James
Why do you want to use the Forevers??

Some of the other guys have built it using..
Panasonic ECG (from this BOM)
http://members.cox.net/capstanrecording/SSLCloneParts.pdf

Panasonic ECG (from this BOM)
http://home.houston.rr.com/lpstephan/SSLparts.xls

Elnas (anybody speak French??? - looks a great thread!)

A General Purpose non brand one from Jaycar
1000uF 63V RB
From Kevs List

The 2 x 1000uf capacitors are used in the PSU delivering the 15volts..
Best thing to do is to have a look at the Farnell and RS catalogues
Look athe the datasheet and keep a not eof the pin spacing.. check the pin spacing on the PCB (to make sure they fix)
Then do a search on members sugegsted brand names for Caps
(e.g. Elna Stargets, Panasonic FCs etc...)

Latest posts

Back