Metal film VS carbon comp poll

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal film VS carbon comp resistors which sounds better?

• Metal Fim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carbon Comp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sounds better for what?

I would always use the metal films. But that's because of the stablility and noise - I don't want to select resistors and check the values once a year...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I don't know about sound of resistors. I think some believe carbon comp are a large part of vintage toob stuff (ie guitar amps etc). I've not investigated, looked for, nor experienced a difference (except higher noise). I don't think a resistor should have a "sound". If it is a good part with low noise and a respectable ppm tempco it should not matter.

I've been using metal film for a couple of years now and see no need to look further. Each time I need a different value, I just buy a pack of 200 from mouser and add the value to my stash. After a couple of years at this, I'm certainly biased toward metal film! :thumb:

Peace - Out
Irv

I have 4 la2a's here that are built with carbon comps...

I have a few la2a's here that are built with metal film.

bench wise the metal film measure much better...

I think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between them other than increased noise on the carbon comps.

the trannys play a bigger role than the resistors.

so I have to vote for metal film

I'd like to say I voted for carbon...

because I really don't have a clue & wanted to see the results of the poll :green:

Todd

Latest posts

Back