Tascam Model 15 & 8516b Recorder - What degrades?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy H

Hi guys,
I have the offer to buy a tascam m15 desk & 8516B 1'" 16 track.

These items came from a working studio but have been (not well) stored for about 6 years. They've been locked up in a suburban garage on the Australian east coast - Hot summers, high humidity, mild winters - dusty. and no dust covers.

What should I expect to have degraded in these units from non use and these storage conditions? What do you recommend checking prior to power up?

All comments appreciated.
Thanks

For the 1inch mainly the pinch roller rubber may have gone 'funny". If so this supplier in japan gives superb service: http://www.openreel.net/parts_3.html

I just got a tascam 38 pinch roller (1/2") and took only 5 days to deliver to NZ. Price was good too.

Heads won't deteriorate in storage, aluminium parts like reel rollers might though.

Larry

Hi Larry,
Good points - I guess the rubber sort of goes sticky - and I can imagine that white rust pitty look on the aluminium bits - unless someone filled it up with antifreeze!!!!

I would think the 1 " would have no internal belts(?)

I thought TASCAM USA would have been able to supply pinch rollers. No?

thanks for the link - I'll check it out

Jeremy

[quote author="Jeremy H"]Hi Larry,
I would think the 1 " would have no internal belts(?)
[/quote]

No, it's the direct drive. Check also the heads (paartcularly 1. and 16. channel), relays on the dbx boards may be worn, and PS caps may be dried..

Regards,
Milan

Latest posts

Back