Uses for Neve 3416 line amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
Just aquired one and looking to turn it into something useful. A direct box possibly? Don't know if it would have enough gain to be a mic pre. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Craig

IIRC the 3416 is an unitygain modul? 31267, BA440 and a TO129.
BA440 = 7dB gain without any boost resistor and the TO129 = 8dB gives you 15dB of gain, the 31267 is normaly conncted as -6dB so you'll have 9dB of gain with the level trimmer all the way up.
Build your self a BA438 input stage and use the 31267 in revers and you'll have a pretty nice mic preamp.

Its a good mic pre; same input trans as a 1073 (10468) will have to lower 2 resistors R5 & R8 to give enough gain, put a 10K pot between the 2 stages and your ready. You will also need phantom resistors and a pad. If not already done, recap it, including a couple of caps on the 438 and 440 pcb.
Short out the pot on the front..

They could have changed to later ones, most of the 3415 and 3416 I have seen had the 10468 in trans.
Neve had several versions of alot of their modules...

Initially I though it would be best to sell this thing, but I'm thinking of using the parts to make a pre.
Of course I would wire the 31267 backward as the input tranny, use the 440 and possibly build more gain stages. Would the TO129 be a suitable output tranny for a pre?
Any advice would be great.

Also, are there neve mic pres which use the 440?

Craig

[quote author="craigmorris74"]Would the TO129 be a suitable output tranny for a pre?
Craig[/quote]

I would think so. And Tekay would have mentioned otherwise.

[quote author="craigmorris74"]Also, are there neve mic pres which use the 440?
Craig[/quote]

Nah, just an obscure thing called a 1081. :wink:

440s were used a lot in line amps, like your module, like in the gorgeous 8068.

Follow Tekay's advice, you'll be very happy with the pre and you'll learn a lot.

i would like a schem of the 3416 and/or the 1081 :)

if noone minds me posting it on my site for download by other engineers :)

it is not strictly for personal use, so dont give me if that is a problem :p

S!
Jason

Latest posts

Back