Complete kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaotao

Hello everyone, hope we are well.
This year i'm doing it.
I'm gunna start with a kit.
What's out there?

Seventh Circle
JML (website confusing)
Hamptone
www.buildyourownclone.com ($75 for the fuzzface?)

I'm thinking of starting with a pedal or a DI coz i'm crap at soldering (cables).

Is there anything else i have't found yet? What's the opinionon on these items? I'm most keen on a distortion pedal coz i 'aven't got one but i'm lusting after the hamptone pre's.

ta v much

The best thing is to build something that you're actually going to use.
That makes it much more rewarding.
Start with a pedal if u need one. Stompboxes are very good first time DIY projects I guess.

After that you'll make that hamptone pre and a whole lot of more stuff.....(believe me, there's no stoppin') :grin:

[quote author="jaotao"]I'm gunna start with a kit.
JML (website confusing)[/quote]
The Seventh Circle is a good looking kit

the JLM may seem confusing but that's just cos Joe crams so much on one page

we can help
I'm biassed ... JLM JLM JLM

The DIY Factory will have some JLM stuff as soon as I can find time to complete a few things.

I recomend any of the Gain Block types of Mic-pres
that is if you won't do a Green MK1 ... I still feel on balance this is the best first time Mic-pre DIY

short list of possibles first projects
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/green/green.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/jlmsimpledi/jlmsimpledi.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/JLM99x/jlm99x.htm

perhaps a Country Hick

Fabios PCB
use the Metas - search

er Pete's 1731

picture of a project from Tamas using JLM parts
with Gain Bloak opamps
seach here for details of the Gain Bloak
look here

countless other Gain Block units to DIY ... or buy
Hardy, Forssel, SC, JLM

:cool:

did I say JLM ?

thanks people. Much appreciated. Kev, yeah JML site isn't so confusing afterall, and after delving a little deeper i am impressed.. and tempted. Cheers for the links, hmm. Decisions.
But for right now its got to be the pedal or otherwise i will electrocute myself and / or smash up all the compents in a fit of frustrated rage and disappointment. Do you lot know this site BYOC (web link above) $75 + shipping seems a little on the expensive side. What do youz make of 'em? Is there a 'better' distortion pedal kit? I'm just itching to spend some money here : ) so i can get on to the pre's and LA2A and tube stuff and mics too and boy a massive plate reverb, sweeeet, people do analogue synths as well dont they. Better do some mixing, brb thanks some more

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Seventh Circle is OK... But, beware, if you build their kits you are forced to use their rack case. There is NO WAY to mount these little cards any other way. From what I am told, they used to have mounting holes on their earlier kits, but not anymore. End result, no way to secure the rear of the PCB other than using their rack case. And unless you want 8 of their kits you have a shitload of wasted space... Stupid.[/quote]

Lots of ways around this. I have a 4-channel J99/C84 i'm building right now, bought an off the shelf 1RU 8" deep par-metal case and got the drilling template from Tim Ryan himself. I've just finished laying it all out and it will work fine-8" is the depth of the Seventh circle case. I just had to carefully align the front/back and tape the templates on and voila, cheap and cheerful drilling template.

If you had a longer case you could simply not use his PCB mount XLR's and use chassis mounts with wires to the PCB. Then use the 2 (now-unused) stabilizer(extra pin for strength) lugs for a couple 4-40 stand-offs. The front is supported by the switches. done and done.

Or you could rig up some slides to hold the PCB edges - the plastic parts can be had by the thousands as old computer cases used them to mount full-length buss cards - any used computer shop would probably give you a handful for a buck.

c'mon man it's a DIY site! :green:

Actually I just looked up the Neutrik part number on Neutrik's site and noticed it had the extra lug -I think it's chassis ground- it's not 4-40, you'd have to drill it probably, but it is an option.

What about using the bolts that mount the cinemag tranny? You could use long bolts through the bottom of the chassis with spacers. Not ideal but do-able...mark their position before you stuff the board.

Again going back to PC bits and pieces - there are lots of different plastic spacers/clips for mounting motherboards in cases - i'm sure they could be used. you can also get small edge clips with plastic threaded 4-40 that could go in a few key places to support the rear of the board.

I found out the depth of the 7th circle chassis -this was the only measurement needed to replicate front/back mounting and I went from there.

Hey Tungstengruvsten,

I would be really interested in getting a copy of that template that you got from Tim Ryan. Any chance you could email or post that for me?

-Mike

If I were to buy another kit I would get the JLM 1290

What a killer cool kit>>>

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLMmicro1290.htm

I actually think I'm going to buy a couple of these myself.

Latest posts

Back