transformer....center tap vs dual secondary?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRE Productions

What is the difference (power transformers) between dual secondaries and center taps?

1176 uses dual 25 volt secondaries. Can I also use a 50v ct ?

Also, any thing wrong with a toroid rated at 100va for the 1176? I know it should be around 30 to 50, but I found some toroids for about 18 bucks, but they are 100va..

Joe

Thanks that was a perfect response!

So the difference is weather the manufacture has tied the pair of leads together under the tape. When they do, they just bring out one wire instead of two seperates. Yes? So for all practical purposes, dual 25 or a 50ct are the same transformer.

I will check to see that the power on the 100va is still close to the needed amount.

Thanks.

Joe

It's just as easy to bring a wire out as it is to do a splice, and it gives the user more options, so you will always have more taps than you need on an audio trans. Good from a marketing point of view, also. "Yes, this transformer is equipped with factrory AC."

A picture is worth a thousand words
via Mr Burnley
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/deltaharmonic/Technical/Transformer_Connect.gif

Back