Question regarding the law curves of pots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

laws.jpg

I added the text in red, did I label them correctly?

If yes, I'm not crazy when i say that pots that are log are labeled A10k for a 10k log pot right? And linear are labled with a B if i remember right.

So why does omeg make it so bloody confusing?

[quote author="Ptownkid"]So why does omeg make it so bloody confusing?[/quote]

It seems there is no 'world standard' for potentiomter law marking. I read somewhere (here?) that at least Japanese and European manufacturers of potentiometer mark them differently.

Use the terms "lin", "log" and "rev log" to avoid confusion.

Hi Ptownkid

There is no world standard!!

ALPS and other asian pots.... A taper (or law) is log
ALPS and other asian pots.....B taper ( or law) is lin

OMEG and other EU pots........A taper (or law) is lin
OMEG and other EU pots........B taper (or law) is log

Beware!!! don't be a DUMB A** like me and order centre
detant 10k log pots!! :cry: :oops: BE SHURE you know what
you are ordering!!!!

GARY

[quote author="Ptownkid"]I added the text in red, did I label them correctly?[/quote]

Depends on who's making your pots...

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]If yes, I'm not crazy when i say that pots that are log are labeled A10k for a 10k log pot right? And linear are labled with a B if i remember right.[/quote]

Again, depends on who's making your pots! Some manufacturers use A for linear and B for logarithmic, and others use the exact opposite.

Peace,
Al.

A quick search of Omeg's site reveals that they indeed use the backwards standard: A = linear, B = logarithmic.

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"]A quick search of Omeg's site reveals that they indeed use the backwards standard: A = linear, B = logarithmic.[/quote]

Backwards, forwards - it depends on your frame of reference.

To me A for linear, B for log and C for reverse log makes sense and seems logical. :grin:

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="Ptownkid"]I added the text in red, did I label them correctly?[/quote]

Depends on who's making your pots...

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

Ok, I'm not trying to be rude here, but how the hell does who's making your pots change what "linear, logarithm, and reverse logarithm" means?

[quote author="Ptownkid"]how the hell does who's making your pots change what "linear, logarithm, and reverse logarithm" means?[/quote]

It doesn't, read the posts again. What changes is the meaning of "A law", "B law" and "C law". So in your image, the graphs themselves and the red captions you added are cool, but the green "LAW X" captions are not universal.

Once again, for your purposes (buying pots from Omeg in the UK, right?) A=linear, B=logarithmic, and C=reverse-logarithmic.

Peace,
Al.

most logs made now seem to be two linear sections.

to do a fast check

Turn the pot to 1/2

wiper to one end 10%
wiper to other end 90%

Latest posts

Back