Looking for schematic for Vox 7120 amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klydolph

Hi,
I am looking for the schematic for the Vox 7120 amp. This is a hybrid amp with SS preamp- and tube output stage. Used by the Be@tles during the Revolver era. I just love the guitar sound from that album. Of course I understand there's more to the sound than just the amp, but I would like to build one and see how it sounds. It is said to have 4 pcs KT-88 at the output. I understand N0rth C0ast Music sells the schematic but 1) They are expensive and 2) I've bought the Defi@nt preamp schematic from them before and the quality was quite bad, so I thought I'd hear if anyone here could have it.
Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
kly

This place has a zillion Vox schematics but not the one you are looking for unfortunately. :?

Maybe you can use this place down the line somewhere:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schempage.php?cat=1

klydolph,

Have you heard / played a UL7120 in person? 

I have one and while an impressively large and stupidly loud amp, it's sound / tone is lack luster at best IMHO.    While true that The Beatles may have used these in the studio for one thing or another,  my guess is when in use, additional sound shaping equipment was added into the equation (console, maybe pedals for example...) with or without the fuzz feature. 

The 'UL' meaning Ultra Linear.  There's not much soul compared to other VOX amps, just loud and clean.  Maybe if driven really hard there's something to be had, but I've never been able to get my amp into a place where I could play at full volume.

The fuzz is interesting, but no matter how much I wanted to love my 7120, I always revert back to using an AC-100 or any one of VOX's smaller AC offerings.  I do have a Conqueror which is a nice sounding SS amp...

Of course, your use may better suit your sound desires.  Either way, best of luck with yoru restoration / repairs.

Cheers,
Greg

mjrippe said:
The OP was 13 years ago.  Vintagekiki dug up all the old Vox posts and shared schematics on them for future visitors.

Argh!  Of course...  Thanks!

I paused for moment when reading the statement that North Coast Music schematics are expensive and quality 'bad'.  That should have been my clue to check the age of the thread. 

It's my understanding that NCM has re-drawn all of their schematic offerings to now be as good or better than the originals which might not have been the case back 13 years ago.  'Expensive' is in the eye (pocketbook?) of the beholder...

Cheers, Greg

Back