what is this kick pad from earthworks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that :thumb:

I'm ordering one. Can't beat the price if it does what they say... I wonder if it's meant to go with mics inside or outside of the kick :? or both?

Seems like a good tool.

BTW... I'm really a drummer :green:

Kevin

I'm sure it just does some EQ'ing so in some ways it has a limited capacity but then again it's just color so you just have to think of it from a different starting point.

I used to run my kick through a 31 band eq when I only had a 3 band eq on the mixer... another cool trick I've learned is if you haven an extra AUX to feed it back into another channel and remove that channels dry (prefader or just ungroup it(another cool trick for effects)) and use one mid for high mid and the other for low mid... it's dirty but it makes a great kick sound. I was at a festival and did this trick (yeah, a festival with a 3 band eq board :roll: ) I asked the system engineer for a patch cable and did this little trick as he looked on with a puzzled face. Set my frequencies on the mids brought up the fader and almost instantly had it sounding right and the dude walked up and said "man that sounds good, what did you do again?"

Well, that's my cool kick drum hack/story... use and enjoy... just don't steal the idea as your own if you are asked :razz:

I didn't search, but it has been discussed before and there was even an 'estimnated circuit' IIRIC. I'm not sure though if it was 'here' or back at the old place.

Bye,

Peter

you have to place it like 6 to 8 feets from the front kick....and you can use any of them as a kick the pad does the rest when placed in front of a kick.

[quote author="clintrubber"]I didn't search, but it has been discussed before and there was even an 'estimnated circuit' IIRIC. I'm not sure though if it was 'here' or back at the old place.

Bye,

Peter[/quote]

wasn't at the old place as that just came out like last year... so splitting the kick to 3 channels thats nothing how about splitting you stereo buss in the same manor... saw it done and was interesting, I dunno if I would ever do it but it was a cool idea...

Search the fora... I think a few folks here tried the thing and were less than impressed, so "try before you buy"...

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="pucho812"] ... wasn't at the old place as that just came out like last year... [/quote]
no not that specific unit but their have been others
and
there is a couple of web sites that discuss passive EQ for Mics
you need to be very aware of the load imp

I think our discussions at the old place were about mid range honk and bite
and also a bit of lift at the top end to create " air "

as with speaker crossovers ... passive gain (still seems a silly concept) ... will always mean a dip somewhere else ... high Q stuff
This can be used to advantage for things like kick where you often want a dip in just the right spot.
Making it consistent in most situations could be the tricky bit.

[quote author="alk509"]Search the fora... I think a few folks here tried the thing and were less than impressed, so "try before you buy"...

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

So I guess this isn't NEW :?:

How long has it been out?

[quote author="3nity"]you have to place it like 6 to 8 feets from the front kick....and you can use any of them as a kick the pad does the rest when placed in front of a kick.[/quote]

Are you serious :? 6 to 8 feets from the front kick?

Is it that it is impossible to open ? to see inside ?

that small it must be surface mount , but curious
if there is inductors involved or just r/c s

couldn't find the proposed circuit , anyone ?

The kickpad is okay if you want to get a decent kick sound quickly (like for a live situation, with someone who can't engineer worth a sh!t).

I use a D6 Audix (sometimes a D112 AKG) for recording and move the mic around until I find what sounds best to my ears (usually about 4-5 inches inside the resonance head port-hole, pointed off axis at the beater). Then I use maybe two bands of subtractive eq to cut what I don't need, and compress about 2:1 to tape and in mix (using a DBX 160A lately). This kills any sound I've ever gotten with a kickpad, and it doesn't take very long to get.

Say you spend about $100 on a kick pad to use with some dynamic mic that may or may not be intended for a kick drum or bass rig. You're already half way to an excellent kick mic (~ $200 for a D112, D6) and about a third (~$300) to a EV RE-20 (if that's your sound). Or, buy a new/used ATM 25 (or Pro 25) for $50 (you'd be surprised how good these little mics sound, even on guitar) and mess around with mic placement. Eq and compress to taste. You'll find a sound that you love (one that's reproducible, referencing a few notes in your mix ledger) and be money ahead.

Just my .02

Steve

BTW: A great drum sound starts with a great drum set and new heads tuned correctly. Recording someone who knows how to play well (and play well in a studio) always helps too!

I bought one on ebay for $6!

The guy had posted it wrong. Great mic. Wish I had a couple more. The thing kills on bass.

[Edit]

Wow! You aint kidding! I just looked on ebay and an ATM 25 is selling right now for $150. There's a Pro 25 for $65. I don't know if I would spend $150 on one. They are pretty nice though. Maybe $100.

Still, IMO I don't think the kickpad is worth the money. But a good kick mic is absolutely worth it.

Just my opinion.

Yeah i wouldn't spend 100.00 on the KP1
but i am curious how much could be in there ?
I use a M88 on kik , i like it not fond of the RE 20

Latest posts

Back