MILA-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Analag is taking the piss out of us and giving Dave a good natured slagging. At least I'm taking it that way, as humor.

Dave, glad I picked the right one! Cool. It does sound like glass. Very nice. (That mic sure sounds good too.)

With all the talk about not wanting to share designs and ideas (see the group buy mic thread in BM) Dave you always come first to mind. So glad you are here and active! (big california hug, man)

I'm collecting more ideas and projects than I'll ever have time for, but this or the two bottle is fo' sure on my list. You da man.

I like Dave, we use different techniques to acheive our design goals. His style is the proven traditional way....got to respect that, my way is a mix of everything that makes my job easier.
While I haven't downloaded the samples, I did take a long peek at the schemo and I know enough to know it has to sound great.

I have nothing but respesct for the man's skill, whether the feelings mutual or not.

analag

MILA seems more than interesting to me. Congratulations Dave!
I really want to build something like this at the end of the summer. Right now i'm on 2 Gssl's, so that's first.
I can see Dave is using Beyer and Edcor in/out transformers. They are hard to find here in Slovenia. Is there any alternative for them? At least for the Beyer? The only thing i can get for cheap here are OEP's.

Analag, glad you dropped in. I figured you were giving a positive slag to good ole Dave. I have been looking at your designs with great respect too. They are over my head so I've refrained from comment, but I appreciate both of you offering your ideas here. It enrichens everyone, helps us learn and makes this place special. Thanks, guys.

analag was just kidding, it's pretty obvious. :?

You know... like, keep your head up.

Dave,
The MILA Sounds VERY GOOD. When I first listened to the samples I didn't like it but the new sample #2 is KILLER. :thumb:

:EDIT: let me rephrase... There was something in the low end I didn't like but I think I might have got them mixed up :?

Kevin

I'm having option anxiety with all these mic pre's. :green:
I have the 12av7's but held off to finish other projects.

What is EVERYBODY's favorite NYD Pre :?:
Just curious.

[quote author="rotation"]I can see Dave is using Beyer and Edcor in/out transformers. They are hard to find here in Slovenia. Is there any alternative for them? At least for the Beyer? The only thing i can get for cheap here are OEP's.[/quote]

the OEPs probably will work OK for the inputs, but I only yesterday discovered that their 4:1 transformer (sold as 1+1:2+2) just isn't big enough, at least for the two-bottle. The MILA-1 output stage is very similar. I was wondering why things sounded different at the highest gain as I had failed to notice it before. Turns out it was the OEP failing. :sad:

It sounds great at the lower three quarters of the gain scale, but starts to loose low and high frequency content at high gain, way below saturation point, tested with a ribbon mic and pad. I'm now running the thing unbalanced, and while it works and sounds great - even cleaner than with the transformer, and more gain obviously - I'd rather have it balanced and with the 600-ohm attenuator I already installed.

I'm currently looking for an alternative budget output transformer as well. :? Too bad we don't have Edcor over here.

well it was obvious to me that dave was kidding because he used a smiley and he has posted some spice simulations here, himself. analag seems to get upset whenever someone makes a crack about spice, like its a personal insult to him. but... whatever! lets move on.

i like sample #2 but i wonder how it would sound with a 'better' input transformer. i never cared for beyerdynamic input tx's very much. i dont think they are as horrible as soundguy says but they dont seem to have that 'fullrange' sound that some bigger tx's have. and they do turn nasty when overloaded. but i would probably use them anyway if i got a bunch for cheap. :grin:

[quote author="Kingston"][quote author="rotation"]I can see Dave is using Beyer and Edcor in/out transformers. They are hard to find here in Slovenia. Is there any alternative for them? At least for the Beyer? The only thing i can get for cheap here are OEP's.[/quote]

I'm currently looking for an alternative budget output transformer as well. :? Too bad we don't have Edcor over here.[/quote]

Still looking for alernative input and ouput ransformers. Wha would be "bigger" than Beyer? Or substiute for Edcor?

[quote author="rotation"]Still looking for alernative input and ouput ransformers. Wha would be "bigger" than Beyer? Or substiute for Edcor?[/quote]

I don't know what exactly causes the frequency loss in this case, other than it was gone after going unbalanced, skipping the OEP. It wasn't saturating either, just very noticeable high freq loss on high gain on the two channels. I guess the OEP just can't handle the step-down from the output stage. Or oscillation of the preamp in the +100khz range taking down transformer dynamic range? troubleshoot time again.

Beats me. I guess I'll have to try a Lundahl with a higher spec, when I can afford one. :roll:

I'm just finishing up a list of stuff to get from AES tomorrow, which includes mila and one bottle parts.

very excited over here to try this stuff out...

only thing is, i'd like to build my power supply rather large, much larger than I'll need for one or two preamps. Does anyone know of a larger 125-0-125 volt trafo than those that aes sells, hammond and so forth? 50v bias tap is pretty handy, but not really necessary at all. Just as long as its got filament.

Can't wait to try some of this nyd stuff out! right now my only nyd gear is a reamp... and a mighty fine reamp it is.

also, Kingston, did you try oep on the input, or just on the output?

I'm kind of leaning towards trying oep in edcor out...... I have some O-1's to use with the one bottle, but not sure what I should use on the mila.

thanks guys, very cool stuff

billy

alo NYD
i would like very much to do a mila,but i have many questions:yes,i`m a zero in electronics.
looking at the schm,the input tranny has 200ohm impedance.for the usual mics we use,wouldn`t 600 ohm be better?.
i was at the edcor site,and didn`t see a tranny 200:20k.
another question:since there`s already a range switch and output pot,one can go by without the input pad,okay?.
sorry for all these questions.
best regards
pedro

The primary impedance of the input transformer refers to the source impedance of the mic, which for most professional mics nowadays is around 150 or 200 ohms. The actual load seen by the mic is 1500 to 2000 ohms, typically. Edcor does not offer any suitable input transformers.

The input pad is used to prevent overloading of the input transformer and the first tube stage with hot signals. The gain and range controls offer little protection in that regard, so the pad should not be omitted.

Latest posts

Back