DIY kits avail for 1073 and API?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlearman

Hey guys, I'm totally new to these boards and was hunting around for some DIY kits for 1073 preamps. I know there has to be something out there. Bonus points if it's a 500 series module.

Same question for API 512.

I swear I used the search function, but maybe I'm just retarded...

The 312 is easy enough to perfboard. Unless you're looking for something to put in a lunchbox. In which case:

http://www.eisenaudio.com/diy500/kits/minimal/

You won't find a 1073 kit, to my knowledge. Probably not the cheapest or easiest project either. You'd be better off getting the Chameleon and putting better components in it.

Dig deep into the Black Market. Fabio has 312 boards and boards for other good projects. You can check the Meta-Meta too! :thumb:

if you're looking for just the mic pre section of a 1073 (1290) you can check out the JLM Audio kit for the 1290. Good reviews from those on the forum who have built them in the past. Though MK is right, the Chameleons are pretty cheap, if that's what you are looking for.
regards,
grant

Thanks for the reply guys. I did mean 1072...i'm just completely ignorant. I guess 1073 refers to 1072 + EQ section??

Anyway - what about the SCA N72? How would you compare it to the chameleon & Vintech stuff?

Does JLM make a 1072 clone? Are there any other interesting kits out there that will fit in an SCA rack?

Thanks for humoring my noob questions!

I think you mean 1272, which was a two stage line amp that can be modified for mic amp use. The 1290 is three stage amp like the preamp portion of a 1073, etc. The best thing to do is search for the following terms in the search engine. Make sure you click search for all terms.

BA183
BA283
LO1166

And go here: http://www.jlmaudio.com

These are all associated with the Neve 1272, 1290, 1073 projects. It will help you better understand the building blocks of Neve products and sound. Fabio has BA183 boards, and Greg has boards for the JLM Hot Rod 1272. Go forth and feed thy brain. :thumb:

I can't gauge your experience level from your post, but if you're truly a beginner, I'd suggest the Seventh Circle kit.

As a beginner myself, I've come to the conclusion that a relative beginner can do a 312 without too much heartache. But a 1272 (1073, etc. anything Neve) should be done from a kit if possible. The N has too many potential snags, gain stage variations, weird parts that only work in certain configurations. The more I read about it, the more daunting it seems.

Even from the SC kit, it might be a pretty challenging build. I've never used their kits but it looks to be a more faithful reproduction of the N circuit than the vintech.

Not affiliated of course. Best of luck! Kato

Back