how to open a sennheiser md441???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headcleaner

hello,

i wonder if someone knows how to open a sennheiser md441.

i have a broken soldering i think-not big thing, but i don´t know how to open, without destroying it.

thanx, basti

Like with the 421 there's a hidden screw. IIRIC it's again under the 'type-sticker'.
Remove the little metal plate on which the type & ser# etc and the screw will become visible.
Proceed at your own risk; it's been a while since opened up a 441, but I'm sure there is that screw and where else could it be than under the little plate ?

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="pucho812"]use the CJ method of torch and Hacksaw. :twisted:[/quote]

Hmmm, that hurts :cry: :cool:

Obvious suggestion: if you do proceed in that direction then be sure record the mic output.

Come to think of it, I don't recall a CJ-TX-treatment on 'in-circuit & operating iron'...

[quote author="clintrubber"]

Obvious suggestion: if you do proceed in that direction then be sure record the mic output.

Come to think of it, I don't recall a CJ-TX-treatment on 'in-circuit & operating iron'...[/quote]

OBviously a cheeste or as said in english" a Joke"

[quote author="pucho812"][quote author="clintrubber"]

Come to think of it, I don't recall a CJ-TX-treatment on 'in-circuit & operating iron'...[/quote]

OBviously a cheeste or as said in english" a Joke"[/quote]

Rest assured, I considered everything in this thread so far a joke :thumb: :grin:
- except for those 441-mics themselves of course. Nice mics !

Yes the 441 is a great mic. Stevie nicks from fleetwood mac really loves that mic. Loves is the key word as she does more then sing with it or so the stories go... :shock:

[quote author="pucho812"]Yes the 441 is a great mic. Stevie nicks from fleetwood mac really loves that mic. Loves is the key word as she does more then sing with it or so the stories go... :shock:[/quote]

Let's address that first sentence and ignore the third to prevent things getting out of hand here (since I find it hard to imagine 'stories' with a mic shaped like the 441) :wink:

Where I hoped the 441 could do more is when micing from a distance. As I think to understand it it's the narrow card. pattern that makes it less suited for that - but that interpretation might be false reasoning.

agreed. I can't imagine using the mic for such nonsense but they are stories. Read my tag on stories: All are true some actually happen. :thumb: Great on an Acoustic guitar. Works nice in hi-hats. Chad blake likes to use it as drum mic right between the kick an floor time pointing up or something close to that. I wish I owed a pair... :thumb:

[quote author="pucho812"]agreed. I can't imagine using the mic for such nonsense but they are stories. Read my tag on stories: All are true some actually happen. :thumb: Great on an Acoustic guitar. Works nice in hi-hats. Chad blake likes to use it as drum mic right between the kick an floor time pointing up or something close to that. I wish I owed a pair... :thumb:[/quote]

Hi,

Great tag indeed :thumb:

Got my 441 (have just one) for a nice price - a part of the front basket was loose and the previous owner hadn't asked the question in the title of this thread, so that loose part was reflected in the price.

Some looking around after the buy and hey, there was the already mentioned screw. Opened the mic, fastened another screw or something, assembled everything again and a couple of minutes later got myself a fine mic.

I wish I owed a pair...
Old band recorded in a studio here in town that had indeed a pair. Were used in XY on a AC30 & Twin Reverb (amps shoulder to shoulder), worked well. Don't know if it was set 'flat' or 'hi-lift'.

Bye,

Peter

A lot of people talk about the SM57 as a do it all mic but I think that the 441 is much more capable in that regard. I try to discourage open discussion on the net though so that the price doesn't go through the roof :grin:

I have a pair that I've used on everything - they are incredible on kick, some snares, elec guitar, bass amp, flutes, whistles and of course vocals. They have beaten out very very expensive tube mics more times than bears thinking about on vocals.

I got mine for about 200 euro each in mint condition - don't know that I need anymore but I guess I'd like a few for toms when recording drums,

I avoid the low cut switch and the presence lift - not crazy about the sound of either. The regular setting with a little high end eq is preferable to the lift on the mic IMHO,
cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]A lot of people talk about the SM57 as a do it all mic but I think that the 441 is much more capable in that regard. I try to discourage open discussion on the net though so that the price doesn't go through the roof :grin: [/quote]

Right ! :wink:
But the 57 & 441 are of course quite different in price - so with the 441 being more capable it still might be that the 57 has a better price-performance ratio. With not unlikely the 421 inbetween.

I avoid the low cut switch and the presence lift - not crazy about the sound of either. The regular setting with a little high end eq is preferable to the lift on the mic IMHO,
cheers,
Ruairi
I'm never setting the HPF on 421 & 441 anywhere else than max BW, but I should try the 441 without presence-lift next time I use it. Have it on by default, time to try it without again, thanks for mentioning.

Regards,

Peter

now I found it:

the hidden screw is where the small basscut switch is.
it`s not metal - it´s plastic and very tiny.
you have to remove this little thing and there is the hidden screw...

Yes indeed this one of the most versatile microphones.
I like it on bassdrums, amps and toms. And of course on screaming vocals, for this application I also use the MD 421.
Most Screaming Vocalists are used to have the mic in their hands.
I think it`s just natural to give them a mic in their hands.
And then I also use an extra LDC, like my FUNKWERK LEIPZIG CM7156, in front of them and an omni in the back on the floor...
You can also work with gates in this application; like if the singer gets louder in the Sennheiser the ambient mic opens...

thanx again

whenever i ve used a 441, ive put it up in hopes of some interesting sound and put it away immed. thinking it was broken. for all I know, they all were broken. that is in several studios over many years.

Wow, I've owned a pair of 441's for 30 years and never knew how to open one.
The bottom of one has been loose for years, so I removed the plastic bezel and
found the screw loose. Pulled the side off and noticed that the clear silicone
on the suspension mounts had turned goopy and liquid like. Didn't know these
had suspension. Cleaned it up a bit and tightened the screws. Other than that
these are pristine they've only been used a couple of times in 30 years. Has anyone
opened up a RE-20. The suspension is shot in those. Time takes it's toll.

Latest posts

Back