Splitter-ish question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitman

Hello all.

I have felt guilty about what I am doing in my project studio for some time but now I need to know if it's wrong or if I can stop feeling bad about it.

In order to extract my microphone signals for monitoring before the DAW, I am bringing the mic cables into a mixer and then I plugged TRS jacks into the mixer INSERT jacks and tied the TIP and RING wires together, as if I had plugged in a straight wire effect box. Then I soldered cables to that TIP/RING junction and sent it to the DAW with no series resistors or caps along the way except for the possible coupling caps and resistors at the sound card inputs.

This TRS junction is a desirable "tap" point because it is right after the mixer preamp and is pre-eq, fader and anything else that may further distort my signals.

The mixer direct outs which are post EQ and post fader are the send out to active distribution amps and a bevy of Behringer 12 channel mixers at recording artist "stations".

I'm worried about that TRS junction, but scince the impedance of the sound card input is 'prolly pretty high, I may have nothing to wory about except the 1st preamp in the mixer which I can upgrade as time and client checks go by. The current mixer preamps are "Invisable" so that's no problem hu? :roll:

Thanks in advance,
:LSB

Without seeing the schem for your mixer, i cant be sure. But its probably not a problem seeing as the insert jack should be fead by a buffer of some kind, providing low output impedance.

If it works, it works.

What about a Y cable like :

Code:
                          |-------> [ Mixer Monitor IN ]
[ Preamp OUT ] >----------|
                          |-------> [ Recorder IN ]
What would be the disadvantage of this setup ?

What you're doing is standard practice for mixers that have channel inserts but no separate channel outs. There have been many posts recommending this technique on this forum. You can buy cables wired for this job, e.g. from Hosa.

[quote author="Boswell"]What you're doing is standard practice for mixers that have channel inserts but no separate channel outs. There have been many posts recommending this technique on this forum. You can buy cables wired for this job, e.g. from Hosa.[/quote]

Yup!
The best way to think about it is that you are multing the insert send to two places- no problem.
And c'mon, there are much more nasty things to be guilty about :wink:
And there are many things done in the studio that DO "break the rules" without consequence. One example is patching a mic to two pre's- one for the phantom and one for the amplification.
Mike

Latest posts

Back