Green Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

Dejacky & others have asked for an audio sample of the Green pre. I've been reticent to post this for 2 main reasons :

1. What mike is being used for the job? I use an AKG Solitube which is quite hard & a bit spitty for a lot of peoples' tastes.

2. What kind of work are you doing? I do voice overs for TV ads & this mike works for me in this situation. I have to de-ess quite heavily, but the whole chain has to be taken into account, & for me it works with the kind of limitng, EQ, compression & aural exciter I use to finish the mix.

It's so subjective.

Peter

"Never bite the hand that feeds you..."

In other words...we should be very nice to Kev after all he has done for G'DIY. He has earned the right to be "grumpy", "useless", "extraneous", or whatever he likes (which one of the 7 dwarfs are you today?? :grin:), IMHO...maybe we'd hold him accountable if he reaches "nasty"!

The Green Pre is a pretty simple project. I have not actually built it myself, though I think I could easily whack one out in a couple of evenings on a generic proto PCB if I wanted. I have built similar stuff in as much time. If you REALLY want to know what it sounds like, just build one. If you need it you can buy a PCB for cheep. The hard part has already been done for you.

Happy, Happy, DIY!

I have not recieved my boards yet, but from looking at the circuit, and knowing "what little" I know id say...

The Seventh Circle pres all rely on transformers and discrete electronics to get their sound. I would say they are for the most part pretty heavily colored pres. the Green pre is probably going to sound more nuetral because it is a transformerless design, and because it uses monolithic op-amps to get its' gain.

It DOES look like a pretty easy circuit, and I think with DIY you can never build too many practice circuits. You will learn every time. Being as that it's cheap, you;ll find plenty of help here in the forum, and peterc is making the pre-made boards easy to get there is no reason not to build one.

At worst you'll learn a thing or two and have an extra preamp around for when the drummer shows up with 5 toms, 2 snares, AND wants a mic on each cymbal.

Shane

I was involved with a web site, in the early days of TT, and corresponded with both Kev and Jakob (and also Punk).

It finally got to the point where people like this dejacky person drove me nuts. They didn't want to DIY, they wanted to have exact instructions, exact part numbers, exact prices, exact everything and if I wasn't fast enough with the info I'd get these creepy emails, emails that made fun of both me and my cat.

My cat especially didn't like it.

Hats off to Kev. Much thicker skin than me and my cat.

[quote author="Frank"]I Much thicker skin than me and my cat.[/quote]

speaking of cats and skin !

shavedcat02.jpg

Dave's cat can get a bit grummpy too.

thanks to everyone
it'a all good

:thumb:

I can afford a green pre-I can't afford a Seventh circle. You may find a lot of people in that boat, so we may not know "how they compare".

Joel

And I think the thing that we all respect about Kev is the fact that he can be grumpy or whatever, but when the chips are down, he will turn the tables around and encourage/challenge that person (who most of us would, at the point of frustration, stomp the stuffing out of!) to pursue newer and greater heights of the DIY.

Its rare that I encounter this sort of personality trait and I thought it worth pointing out.

dejacky, I understand your feelings I think. There is an 'inner circle' that is sometimes drawn here, just because these guys know one another and have for a long time. Each has helped the other and that breeds trust. Sometimes the 'circle' is drawn just because the "discussion" has occurred, the results posted, and everyone that has been here moves on to the next segment of DIY. If I can't find an answer to some question similar to the ones you have asked, I have found that if I lurk long enough, those questions will eventually be answered. These guys are smart and they have invested a lot of time in DIY. They might not give it up easily but they'll give it up if you just wait patiently...and watch carefully!

With eyes open...
Charlie

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]
And I think the thing that we all respect about Kev is the fact that he can be grumpy or whatever, but when the chips are down, he will turn the tables around and encourage/challenge that person (who most of us would, at the point of frustration, stomp the stuffing out of!) to pursue newer and greater heights of the DIY.

Its rare that I encounter this sort of personality trait and I thought it worth pointing out.

dejacky, I understand your feelings I think. There is an 'inner circle' that is sometimes drawn here, just because these guys know one another and have for a long time. Each has helped the other and that breeds trust. Sometimes the 'circle' is drawn just because the "discussion" has occurred, the results posted, and everyone that has been here moves on to the next segment of DIY. If I can't find an answer to some question similar to the ones you have asked, I have found that if I lurk long enough, those questions will eventually be answered. These guys are smart and they have invested a lot of time in DIY. They might not give it up easily but they'll give it up if you just wait patiently...and watch carefully!

With eyes open...
Charlie[/quote]

How true !
Aharon

Back