DIY Ribbon Mic Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith

I wound myself a ribbon transformer using 22 gauge wire.I made a 4/148 ratio of winds for a gain of 37 after copying a commercial transformer.It works real good.Lots of gain,very flat.I'm wondering how I can get more bottom end out of it though.Seems lacking in proximity effect and I'm a crooner.Would not having the element in a case effect the low end response? Or maybe I should back off on the ratio.The tranny I copied was a ratio of 1/23.5 which had more bottom end.Another thought I had was to use thicker wire. I'd appreciate your thoughts gents.K2

Ya got me CJ.It's not nickel,as I could'nt locate any.I was hoping there might be an alternative to getting more bottom.Would you know of any places that offer nickel cores and bobbins?K2

I used 22 gauge on both windings.I've experimented with using different size wire on the bobbin but it throws things out of wack.The core I used I scavenged from a flourescent light fixture.It's a common mode line filter.I saw that it was easy to disassemble and rewind.It's powdered but thats as much as I know.Are there other preferences other than nickel?I've searched DIY transformer supplies and the sites I've found made no mention as to availability of nickel.I've experimented with AC power transformers and I've had luck with getting abundant bass so I was hoping there was a middle ground in terms of winding.As is, my new tranny has bottom and compared to the commercial tranny I bought the difference is not real big.But I'm beginning to see that a nickel core and bobbin set is what I really need.Thanks for your input.K2

http://www.magmet.com/

is your source for 80 Ni. Look at smaller UI (or maybe DU) cores.
I don't see a good reason for 22 for the secondaries--takes too much space. If you end up with secondary DCR of around 60 ohm, you are good. For the primary you could try something like 18-20 gauges.

P.S. When you write "I made a 4/148 ratio of winds", do you mean you have 4 windings on pri and 148 on sec?

OT but there is a good articl on mic transformer loading by Mr. Stamler in this months Recording magizine.

What size mic body does this ribbon tyrantsformer have to fit?

Yes,4 turns and 148 turns. I originally had wound 4 turns of 22g and 148 of 16ish gauge and the result was lower output so I thought they had to stay relative in size of wire to get accurate ratios.My mic bodies look like AEA R92's scaled down to 1.75 wide 6" high solid steel.It has 8x1/8th slots cut in back and front.The elements are 3/4 wide which leaves open air around the front and back.I'd post a pic but I'm puzzled by getting the groupdiy site to take my files.I need more time with that.CJ I have to mention that I really got a chuckle out of your tube mailbox pic.pretty clever.I bet your neighbors get a good laugh.K2

Thats not my mailbox, but I wish it was!

Tell me what size space you have for the transformer.
I have some Nickel here left over from hideous crime scenes that we will not discuss.

Marik,thanks for that link.Looks like I've got some heavy reading to do.
CJ,a 1.250x1.250 OD would be super,smaller is always cooler to.The experiment I did was 1x1 OD.I got all the wire onto a .750 long bobbin with a .3 plastic center which was .750 finished.Im off to bed now,nighty nite.K2

Back