Small watt Gtr amp single ended

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetsen

I have the basics of a small watt gtr amp completed. All that is incomplete are the transformers. I have a power transformer that I bought here from a member, but it doesn't have a center taps on the secondaries.

I don't know much about gtr amps. I have looked at several schematics and all seem to have a center tap. Is there anything I can do to be able to use this power transformer?

On the AX84 project, there is what looks to be a half wave rectifier and a center tap. If I use a full wave rectifier, like on the G9, can I get away without a center tapped transformer? Or will that cause other problems (like a higher voltage), maybe safety issues?

Vetsen

[quote author="Vetsen"]I have the basics of a small watt gtr amp completed. All that is incomplete are the transformers. I have a power transformer that I bought here from a member, but it doesn't have a center taps on the secondaries.

I don't know much about gtr amps. I have looked at several schematics and all seem to have a center tap. Is there anything I can do to be able to use this power transformer?

On the AX84 project, there is what looks to be a half wave rectifier and a center tap. If I use a full wave rectifier, like on the G9, can I get away without a center tapped transformer? Or will that cause other problems (like a higher voltage), maybe safety issues?

Vetsen[/quote]
Full wave rectifier is on AX84 (two diodes and 2x250V C.T.)

You can make a supply using a transformer without a center tap if you use a full-wave bridge rectifier. What's the voltage of the HV secondary on your transformer?

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back