Original Urei 1176 Output Transformer wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeno

Hi,
I've got four 1176LN Rev F and two of them have the blue/green/violet and grey cables of the output transformer cut. Only four of the eight cables are wired to the PCB like this :

red wire -- BRN PCB
brown wire -- RED PCB
Orange wire -- BLU PCB
yellow wire -- GRAY PCB

Now I don't know which units are modded? Should all the wires be connected to the PCB ?

Thanks for your help...keeno :shock:

i think you may have made a mistake in your description; you said violet was cut, but also that violet was connected to the "red" pad on the PCB. maybe you meant brown was connected there, since that is the other end of the winding?

in any case, this was a common mod, done to lower the output impedance of the rev F 1176, especially in european markets. if you would fill in your location that might give us a hint.

if it is possible, i would recommend trying to re-connect each wire to its correct pad on the PCB, even if that means soldering on some short hookup wires. the mod changes the ratio of the output transformer from 1:3.5 to 1:1, which can be useful in a broadcast situation, where the ability to drive long lines is needed. in a modern studio, however, you are rarely driving heavy loads, and 3 meters of cable is hardly a transmission line.

ed

Hello Ed,
thank you very much for your reply! Yes, you're right I made a ( two) mistake (s) in my description and edited the message... I'm in Europe, so this might be the common mod you are talking about. There is also a 36Ohm resistor between +/- & c of the output connector - is this a part of the modification ? Should I remove this too when I rewire the cables ?
thanks again..keeno :grin:

Back