Slider pot lube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
What is the "greasy" stuff inside a sliding pot ?
I cleaned a couple, with contact cleaner. Was that an oops?
Cailube does not provide that "silky smooth" action.
It's hard to get inside the pot.
Do I need to actually open it up all the way (bend up those crimp tabs?)

=FB=

Careful...

I believe that the GPO (before the days of British Telecom) found that silicone products can degrade contacts over time... which begs the request for the original poster to be more specific with the question:

When you talk about putting this stuff on pots, do you mean the contact/track area or the rotary/bearing area?

Caig is for one thing, but NOT the other, vice-versa for Silicone-related products.

Keith

Did anybody try DeoxIT? I used vazeline long time ago back in Russia, it worked well. But I can't find it here...

[quote author="Wavebourn"]Did anybody try DeoxIT? I used vazeline long time ago back in Russia, it worked well. But I can't find it here...[/quote]

Deoxit D5 works good on connectors and switches... smells bad, though.

You can find vaseline in your local Walgreens.

DeOxit should never be used on anything except metal, and it should be removed with a solvent before contact conditioner is applied. The boss complained that it did not clean the volume pot on his stereo. I opened it up and R5 had gathered like butter between the front panel and the chassis!

Vaseline is petroleum based, so I do not know if it is a good match with plastic. If you are talking about cheesy sliding carbon faders, where you need to lube the plastic slider, I like a lube I got from MCM that is made for the moving parts in VCRs and the like. It is Luberex made by GC electronics.
Mike

Thanks Marik!
I'll check in Wallgrins. Made for usage on fine parts of human body it does not contain any agressive additions.

[quote author="Wavebourn"]
Made for usage on fine parts of human body it does not contain any agressive additions.[/quote]

:grin:

-дэвушка, тэбэ с вазылыном ылы бэз
-с вазелином... пожааалуйста
-Вазэлын захaды

[quote author="Marik"][quote author="Wavebourn"]
Made for usage on fine parts of human body it does not contain any agressive additions.[/quote]

:grin:

-дэвушка, тэбэ с вазылыном ылы бэз
-с вазелином... пожааалуйста
-Вазэлын захaды[/quote]

Са свэтом спать будэш?
Да!
Свэта, захады" :D

Грузин стоит на остановке. К нему подходит иностранка:

Excuse me, do you speak English?

Канешно хачу.

[quote author="Marik"]Грузин стоит на остановке. К нему подходит иностранка:

Excuse me, do you speak English?

Канешно хачу.[/quote]

Here you go:

toa_in_5.gif

[quote author="Marik"]$2.99 a jar, I believe...

Is it TOA 208?[/quote]

It was called TOA-216 when I bought it. ;)
Very good construction, but Japanese designers did not know some audio art details... Cheap base for excellent project.

Big can of vaseline costs $4.99

...since you can read Russian... http://www.wavebourn.com/index.php?topic=16450#16450

[quote author="Wavebourn"]

...since you can read Russian... http://www.wavebourn.com/index.php?topic=16450#16450[/quote]

Yeah, I can read, but can't type. I actually even don't have Russian keboard (was using virtual one), and it takes me half a minute to find right letter :sad: .

Translate it and post here. I am sure many folks would be very interested--those TOAs are very cheap (often under $100 on Evil-Bay, before your post :razz: ).

Question, why do you need that much gain? Maybe a triode?
I used a cascoded 6N1P (Russian :wink: ) with a FET on bottom. Sounds very nice.

Latest posts

Back