Internal mixer signal levels?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

What levels (+4, -10, etc) do some of the high end consoles run internally? SSL, etc.

What are some of the benefits and problems with running higher or lower levels?

Discuss.

I understand S/N gets better but I also wonder if the increased levels could actually couple more easily to other traces and/or influence S/N in another negative way elsewhere in the system.

I see -2 dBu in CrestAudio V12 an X-VCA (ex: line in +4dBu balanced > -2dBu internal > line out +4dBu balanced)

Buy or borrow a copy of The Handbook for Sound Engineers. There's a good discussion of that--and much, much more--in Steve Dove's monumental "consoles" chapter.

Short story: it's a balancing act between headroom and noise.

I've always wondered about this myself! My Tascam M-2600mkII has this level change thing going on inside, different levels...-2, 0, -10, to +4 out. To me, it seems all this level changing should screw with the signal more than just sending it thru at just one level!.. :? ..They say it's to get better S/N ratio. I say, why not just use better components to get better specs... :grin:..Can this be undone to one internal +4 level in/out of the console without re-designing the console?.... :roll:

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Buy or borrow a copy of The Handbook for Sound Engineers. There's a good discussion of that--and much, much more--in Steve Dove's monumental "consoles" chapter.

Short story: it's a balancing act between headroom and noise.[/quote]

Dave you mean the one by ballau. I have a copy. Best expensive book I ever purchased. One day I will PDF it for the chosen few.... That book although I understand it runs me into headache as there is just too much to digest. I reference it often.

Latest posts

Back