My Latest G4000 / GSSL Complete (Pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

I built another G4000 last week with a sidechain HPF and a meter ranging control. I felt the 0-20dB didn't give me enough resolution since I rarely do heavy compression with the G4000. The switch to the right of the meter switches between 3dB FSD and 6dB FSD. It was very easy to implement, and works great. I might adjust this to 5dB and 10dB.

I used black cans DBX 202s, and a THAT 2180LB in the sidechain... and Nichicon electrolytics throughout.

Of the G4000s I've built, this one is my favorite !!!

I also decided to do a ratio plot so I could graphically see the knee of this compressor. At 2:1, the G4000 has a very soft knee, where 10:1 is very hard and very limiter-like. This plot definitely agrees with the behaivor I've experienced.
http://members.cox.net/capstanrecording/G4000/G4000_Knee.pdf

As usual, thanks Jakob and Steffen (for the HPF design).

Some pics:
G4000_Front1.JPG

G4000_Front2.JPG

G4000_Top1.JPG

G4000_Back1.JPG

Long live DIY !!!

Another great work from you :thumb:

resistor.jpg

What are these for?

Thanks

[quote author="syn"]
resistor.jpg

What are these for?[/quote]
I'd guess meter back illumination LED current limiting resistance?
[quote author="Greg"]
G4000_Front1.JPG

[/quote]
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Maselec!

Keith

PS: -nice looking' work!

[quote author="syn"]
resistor.jpg

What are these for?[/quote]
I'm pulling rectified, but non-regulated DC, for the lamp in my meter (no LEDs). It's kind of ugly but it's all I had on my bench at the time that would do the job.

I'm still working on the Maselec clone... I think it'll be a while. :green:

Just to clarify... All that nice gear in the picture does not belong to me. :cry: They belong to a mastering friend of mine. :grin: He also has the best, personal microphone collection in town.

First, beautiful work!!! Just curious if you have used your new unit enough to form opinions on the sound of the black cans vs the gold, or vs 218x series VCAs. Thanks!!!

I had these black cans in another G4000 unit for some time, so I'm very familiar with them. I also have a G4000 with the 2180LBs. I definitely prefer the black cans. Both units do a nice job on the bottom end, but the black cans have a more pleasurable midrange and top end.

I can't comment on the gold cans since I haven't heard them.

I've got a pair of 2001s on the way.

Well done Greg, it looks great! I think you must have some kind of GSSL breeding programme going back there in NOLA...

I must admit though... I saw the clone and then my eyes swiftly drifted to the Maselec :oops:

Well done again!

Matt

Back