Low Voltage from G7 PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavote

hello. my g7 psu in coming along. I'm getting 11.2ac from first transformer, 142ac from second. the 6.3 dc off pcb is ok. but i'm getting only 177.3 unloaded.(my mic is not completed).
as per this link:
http://www.omnipressor.com/Other/G7mics/Comments.html
i can expect a 40v drop with the mic connected. i have not wired the xlrs or any mic pattern connections yet.(i'm working under the assumption that wiring these will not change the 177.3 i'm getting)
i'd like to get the "optimal" 160v to my g7. so my questions are.
will i get a 40v drop or does this vary greatly from power supply to power supply depending on components? is there a way i can know in advance what the voltage drop would be. (changing the 10k resistor now will be a breeze. with psu completed it will be more complicated.) i'm building a dual psu so i'll leave one channel at 177v unloaded,(137v loaded?)and alter the other(i'm not looking to use two identical g7s in stereo) i believe it was zebra who wrote that he runs his g7 at 145v and it sounds fine. i believe i can also run a royer mod at this voltage(137v) with good results. any suggestions,comments, blatent,open ridicule is welcome. thanks

hello seavote,
I certainly think it's worth playing around with the voltage to find what you like. This was something Gus suggested to me and it made alot of difference when I swept through and found what sounded good.
Freddy :thumb:

A good thing to know is

1 volt across 1K is 1ma

so if you have 100V, 100K load will be 1ma

Were am I going with this?

sim the microphone current draw with resistors

I would use a 220K to load the B+ and a 33ohm for the heater to measure the supply( I picked them because they should be easy to find values). The voltages and currents should be close to the values with the microphone connected

power = voltage X current. This will calculate the power rating needed in the load resistors.

Back