DBX 202X in GSSL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

Have any of you tried the DBX 202X in the GSSL yet?
I think I read that the Newer X series SSL stuff uses them??? not sure.

Please post the results & your opinions.

BTW, which VCA's do the 202x use?

Kevin

the 202x was used in the old fx g384 sereis and contains 8 paralleded 2151 vca..

the newer xlogic series uses a vca module that contains 4x 2181la in parallel

I compared the 202X to the 2001, with little compression happening (my compression is not working cleanly in fast settings) and at times I thought the 202x was more dynamic and less noisy. (The 2001 has a rep for being hissy.) But more testing needed.

Some time I will try one channel with each. My compression is a little suspect so I need to fix that distortion first, and I may have to start with a whole new PCB, as I've not been successful for a long time... :evil: I'll comment again when I have definitive opinions.

I just bench tested my G4000 with the 202X from the black can 202. Everything looks fine on my bench; though ratios often need to be adjusted when changing VCAs.

Cool... I was lucky to get the last pair of 202x's from the Black Market.

I'm using the single 2151's in my GSSL right now & was hoping it was those VCA's in there because I like the character. That thing sits on my drum buss 99% of the time.

Thanks,
Kevin

I wonder if all these old DBX modules out there are pulls.
I mean, why would you pull out a good VCA unless it was noisy or distorted?
For some reason, you never see "DBX VCA - 2001 - brand new in the box"
Buy and pray.

Roll your own on the way. 2001 orig. , old project THAT needs to get finished. Anybody else have any old projects that need to get finished?
Sheesh!

:evil:

Hi CJ, I wondered if you were going to return to the 2001. I'm sure yours will sound better than the stock. The old components, time, and as you say possibly many hours of use and heat wearing them down and out of spec... I'm sure yours will sound better. By then we can redesign the GSSL from the ground up and really get something out of it.

[quote author="CJ"]I wonder if all these old DBX modules out there are pulls.
I mean, why would you pull out a good VCA unless it was noisy or distorted?
[/quote]

I have seen them removed from no longer used automation in MCI desks

[quote author="Purusha"]Compared my SSL with Golden 202c to other with 2181LB and there was
absolutely no difference in sound worth the extra money spent on 202 :wink:[/quote]

Maybe de rest of your signal chain obscured the subtle differences between the two ........(do I sound like an audiofool or what :cool: )

But you're probabely right. My first GSSL build with only cheap components still sounds fantastic.

[quote author="matthias"]the 202x was used in the old fx g384 sereis and contains 8 paralleded 2151 vca..
[/quote]

the G384 Ive got here has THAT 2002 VCA modules in it. anyone know what those are? they are the same size like a 202 and are blue in color.

I have traced out the ssl hybrids and am in the process of making drop in discrete replacements.

[quote author="khstudio"]Yea... what was the story with that guy?
Where did he get all of those 202's ?

Kevin[/quote]

He is parting out an old SSL, I think it is a 5000 series. You see the pre's and EQ's on ebay, the auxes just get scavenged. Another source is anyone who installed Ultimation in their 4000/6000 series. New VCA cards are installed, liberating a 202X VCA card per channel. I am budgeting a gig where I will be paid in 202x's.
Mike

[quote author="khstudio"]Yea... what was the story with that guy?
Where did he get all of those 202's ?

Kevin[/quote]

Yep, I decommissioned an old SSL5000. They kept the EQs and compressors and I was able to scavenge at will from the rest.

- Evan

[quote author="khstudio"]Cool... I was lucky to get the last pair of 202x's from the Black Market.

I'm using the single 2151's in my GSSL right now & was hoping it was those VCA's in there because I like the character. That thing sits on my drum buss 99% of the time.

Thanks,
Kevin[/quote]

I'm not sure that the old discrete VCAs don't get a little too much nostalgia induced love because they're old and now scarce. While perhaps lower noise than the lowest common denominator modern IC VCA, throwing several of the new version in parallel will knock a few dB off their noise floor and deliver superior linearity.

Of course if your interest is to get the coloration (distortion) of a slightly mismatched discrete VCA never mind. Presumably it wasn't to the original equipment engineers who even included THD trims in premium designs. FWIW I seem to recall a relationship between noise floor, distortion, bias current, and resistor values used around old 202 so you might be able to get even more distortion tweaking bias current and/or Rs, if that's desired?

I don't know if there is any connection but THAT corp (maker of dbx VCAs) has recently released some low noise matched transistor arrays (300 series) http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/300data.pdf that may be good candidates for 202 replacement/upgrade in old designs. Not a drop in, but if it works somebody could whip up an adapter PCB. Has anybody tried or looked at these for this application?

JR

I'm currently using a single 2151 so the 202x with the array of 2151's should be pretty sweet... I'm hoping the same sound I like now but better/quieter.

Kevin

Speaking of these, does anyone here have a layout for a 202x or 2001 style VCA? I have a DBX 165A that I am quite happy with, and I would like to build up a few more comps using the same VCA.

Cheers,
Zach

http://www.turtlerockmastering.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=610

Scroll down to the last image on the page...

Back