specifics on MOTU 2408 upgrades...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetboatguy

I'd like to start with the analog stage first...

the Black Lion site states that NJM4580 and NJM2115 opamps should be replaced... with what substitute though ?

and then the clock,
Motu's stock Texas Instruments TLC2933, which is a VCO and PLL all in one

replace with... ???

This would be interesting. Can you post the black lion url? And schem? I bet the PSU could be improved too...

First, we replace the entire analog section with much higher quality components. This drastically reduces THD and improves bandwidth.

Secondly, we replace the MOTU clock with a discrete dual-architecture clock of our own design. We've measured jitter in our clock at less than 10 picoseconds

i guess some type of pin compatible smd chips... i dont know which... who knows, maybe they use something that isn't pin compatible and really 'get into it'

no clue on where to start with the clock. i wonder how burly the psu is inside this thing, and if it could manage burrbrown smds. cool thing about smds is the availability of samples.

I just found a post about this topic on the PSW forum site... ?

seems to be a ying yang to this story,
some unhappy customers of Black Lion ?

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/9861/0/

ad8066 eh..

ya know, to be honest, i think this motu 2408mk3, at the 1100 or whatever i paid for it new, is a great box. i a/b'ed it with a delta1010 when i got it and the sound was astonishingly better. i'm still happy. i just dont need all the digital, and could use some portability, so i'm hoping to sell or trade to get an ultralite.

Still sounds intriguing if it's mostly a part for part replacement. With care you could do a few channels and have a listen. We should compare datasheets. Does someone have them? I have a 2408 MkII that I'd be ready to experiment on...

I started looking for info about this the other day, couple of things i found

...NOTE about the Black Lion Mod: The Modification of the clock and the analogue stage cost me $525 ...... the analogue stage part of the mod where the Motu NJM4580 Operational Amp chips are unsoldered and SA5532AP Op. amp chips replace them (think there are 6 or 8 of them)...

... I sniffed the voltages and they were all HIGH and the supplies are basically running free with no regulation. That could be a good easy mod. ..

i also read about AD8066 FET as replacement

If I'm not mis-staken, I think Matt uses his " own designed" high- speed instrumentational op-amps. At least that's what's noted on his web site. I could be wrong tho..!.. :cool:

[quote author="Snatchman"]If I'm not mis-staken, I think Matt uses his " own designed" high- speed instrumentational op-amps. At least that's what's noted on his web site. I could be wrong tho..!.. :cool:[/quote]

where does it say this ?

link !

[quote author="jetboatguy"][quote author="Snatchman"]If I'm not mis-staken, I think Matt uses his " own designed" high- speed instrumentational op-amps. At least that's what's noted on his web site. I could be wrong tho..!.. :cool:[/quote]

where does it say this ?

link ![/quote] Well...I just looked at BLA's site and it's no longer stating about the op-amps!.. :oops: .... ( was on his old site design)..Give Matt a holla' and I'm sure he will give you the specs, etc. on his op-amps!...

no, he always used burr browns. I emailed him about this mod a long time ago and he was just swapping opamps. He does distribute the opamps, maybe thats where the confusion lies.

[quote author="Milkmansound"]no, he always used burr browns. I emailed him about this mod a long time ago and he was just swapping opamps. He does distribute the opamps, maybe thats where the confusion lies.[/quote] I think he uses Burr/Browns, but I think he also uses his own. It is an upgrade for the INA-xxx series. He installed some in my Presonus Digi-Max LT awhile back. Really clean sounding!.. :cool:

So i know this thread is old but I wanna improve my 2408 mkII so I took the cover off and found the

Motu NJM4580 Operational Amp chips seems that there are 4 of them.  How hard do you think these will be to replace.

Should I replace them with the

SA5532AP Op. amp chips  or  AD8066 FET.

I have an email into Black Lion Audio to see if the will tell me what they use or if the will sell me a diy kit.

Here is a pic of the op amps.

Attachments

• D0D8E9C7-6C2C-4480-8D17-6E14C362C159061316F9-01AB-4D44-B0FF-36D8F7B03C1B.jpg
    D0D8E9C7-6C2C-4480-8D17-6E14C362C159061316F9-01AB-4D44-B0FF-36D8F7B03C1B.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
saxmonster said:
So i know this thread is old but I wanna improve my 2408 mkII so I took the cover off and found the

Motu NJM4580 Operational Amp chips seems that there are 4 of them.  How hard do you think these will be to replace.

With the proper tools, you can remove the existing parts in about fifteen seconds each, and solder in new parts in another thirty seconds. Without the proper tools, you will likely destroy the PCB.

Should I replace them with the

SA5532AP Op. amp chips  or  AD8066 FET.

I don't know. What do you think is wrong with the product as it is?

I have an email into Black Lion Audio to see if the will tell me what they use or if the will sell me a diy kit.

They make their money doing the mods, so they won't tell you what they do, nor will they provide a kit.

Latest posts

Back