What compressor should i build first?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

I am in the process of finishing up 4 channels of Jlm Baby animal micpres, and after that is finished ill have 16 channels of pretty good preamps consisting of 4ch Baby animal, 4ch greenpre, 2ch api312:ish, 2ch 1272:ish, and 4ch of black lion audio modded motu traveler preamps.

So i was thinking it is time to start building my compressor arsenal. Im basically trying to build my studio from scratch.

What do you guys think i would have the most use of? I mix ITB for the time being, mostly rock music in various forms.

Ssl clone (gyraf or ssltech version?), 1176, some kind of opto, pico?

At some point in time ill probably build one of everything anyway ( :green: ), but what would be a good starting point for me?

Im thinking i need something good for the 2bus, just to knock a dB or two off for glue.

Spill your knowledge!
Thanks,
Jonas

Hi Jonkan,

I have a G1176 which is a very useful piece. For a first build I'm tempted to suggest the pico. I've just stuffed the boards and meters for a pair and it was pretty easy. There is also a complete BOM to order from Mouser which makes sourcing parts easy. Also Roger and Wayne are top guys.

As for the sound, I'll report shortly with clips. I have a very very good feeling though....

cheers,
Ruairi

I find the G1176 to be a much more universal compressor than the GSSL. The GSSL is nice, though I find it limited in its usefulness. I sometimes use it on a drum buss and occasionally a main buss mix and that's about it.

Another vote here for the 1176. Works well on so many things.
And it wasn't as hard to build as I excpected. :grin:

Also there's more than one version to choose from. G1176, Mnats version of the G1176 and now his own Rev D layout. :thumb:

I have to agree, My g1176 is sweet like money. Beware of all the interconnects between the swithes and pots to the main pcb. I soldered mine directley but now wish I had some sort of pin style header and footer that could be disconnected if need be.

BTW does anyone know of a good pin and receptacle for single conducter connections like this. I have ordered a number of pins but cant find a single contact receptacle to use with it.

The G1176 also offers a good deal of mods to dial in things like output, threshold,.. It also offers transformer balanced inputs or opamps. These mods have helped me understand whats happening electronically more than the GSSL did.

Hejsan svejsan :grin:

I'd go for the Gssl as a first build. Rather simple to build and it's stereo.
Nice for a drum-bus...

The G1176 is killer though !
I'd try the mnats version.

I've built the Gssl, La-2a pcb-version, WHAT Compressor, Calrec Eq and a
G9 micpre ... might have forgeotten something ...
I also have a stereo G1176 wich I didn't build myself - I didn't feel I was capable at the time.

Ok, back from a quick norway tour!

Im very curious about the 1176. Everyone seems to be very happy with it.

Which version do you all recommend? I understand there are pcbs of some different revisions out there.

Why stop at one of everything?

Youre absolutely right! I just have to start somewhere :thumb:

Im also a bit short of money right now, but since i like gear more than food...well you know.

/J

Latest posts

Back