multicore and patchbay-wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriss

Hello forum,

I am about to rewire my whole studio and got a couple of questions:

1. The cable I'm using is 10-in-1 Multicore and the single wires are color-coded (grey, pink, brown, purple, black, red, green, blue, yellow, orange) , the second one is always white. Is there any kind of standard for the wiring-order of these? I would bet there is, since it's from german broadcast....

2. For the wiring of the patchbay: The manual says, the earth shall be connected to the outputs of all units only. o.k. And the racks shall be connected to the star-earth-point inside the mixer. But the cables are connected to the pacthbay via 2-pin molex-connectors (it's a Soundcraft TS-24). So for the output-connectors at the pacthbay: Do I collect the output-earth's inside of the racks and put them all together and from here to the star-earth?. And where to connect the input-earth? I'm a bit confused about all this...

thanks in advance

Chris

i dont know about germany, but here in us the color code for multipair cable is usually the same as for resistors.

black = 0
brown = 1
red = 2
orange = 3
yellow = 4
green = 5
blue = 6
violet (purple) = 7
gray = 8
white = 9

after that they start going to 'off colors', for example in a 16 pair cable #12 would be pink. and then after that they go to stripes

in your case it seems they substituted pink for white. so i would make black =1 and pink = 10.

in your case i would guess that black is 1 and pink is 10. as long as youre consisten, thats the main thing.

Hey chris,

I recentley posted a thread on P-Bays which might help you out. Someone needs to write a short book on bays but check it out. There are a bunch of really well explained goals presented in this thread.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=19398&highlight=patch+bay+gurus

Dub

Hi Dub,

thanks for the link. But it doesn't really answer my question: From what I know I should have the ground connected on both end for the inputs and on the units end only for the output. But I can't wire it this way since the Soundcraft-patchbay doesn't offer direct access to the ground-ring of the tt-jacks.
So I think I should connect the grounds of all units In and Out together in the rack and wire this with a large diameter-cable to the star-ground-point in the mixer. Would that do the job? Or would I get hum or Radio-Noise?
btw. The grounds of the tt-jacks are all bus-connected to the star-ground.
Did noone here on the forum ever work UNDER a TS-24???

Chris

As everything is right now in my studio grounds are connected everywhere. I might have it easy cause I have no refrigerators or other monkey wrenches anywhere near the barn. The part in the post you should pay attention to ishooking up your bays piece by piece, channel by channel, and listen as you add new gear. If a problem arises then lift the grounds. I wouldnt worry about the grounding at the bay side just the equipment side.

Will

Hey by the way make sure to wire your grounds everywhere on the path to you mic pres. Make sure to wire your microphone tie lines with all grounds throughout pathcbay, then all lines from bay to mic pres, include grounding on all of these connections. You'll needem for phantom power.

If you want to be slick full normal all mic lines directley to your console.

Latest posts

Back