best mic for royer tube mod (ive read the meta)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buschfsu

ok ive been through the meta and all the gus threads...

sounds like a 797 capsule is the best but there is nothing definative on which have these.

mxl 2003 and behringer b2 are contenders but the mxl lists a 27mm capsule on their site(have they changed capsules?) and i saw a thread that claims behringer denies using 797 capsules.

are there any sure bets for getting a 797?

im waiting to pull the trigger on one.

thanks

The cool thing with the royer circuit with the parts in the tape op writeup is that it seems to work well with the capsules some of the MXL microphones.

1006, v67,v69 etc seem to have the same capsule as the 2001.

I would build it in a 2001 or v67 because they have the built in transformer housing that the jensen DB the specs fits in.

That circuit with the operating points and MXL capsule works well together IMO

so you don't recomend the 797 capsule over the shangehi?

I already have a v67g but thought i might get better results using the 797 capsules.

thanks

The 797 might sound good with that circuit. I don't know I have not tried that combination yet.

I am not a big fan of the 32mm OD however the Royer circuit and parts speced do work together well with the stock MXL capsule in the 2001,V67 etc.

I just finshed another v67 tube build using the stock capsule. I did it to test a tube circuit I was working on. its not bad.

A big part of the circuit working with the stock capsule is the transformer. The jensen DB from the tape-op write-up one works well with that circuit.

You could build the circuit in a MXL and change the capsule later.

Back