Battery power to low voltage AC?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skrasms

I don't really know how this would work, but if possible I'd like to make a battery supply for an Audiophile USB soundcard... the thing is, the power supply provides it with 9V of AC, not DC. Is there an easy way to go about converting from DC to AC? I realize inverters do such a thing, but I only see those for 120V AC.

You might not have to convert to ac if there is a bridge rectifier inside the card. Applying dc will go right thru the bridge and into the filter caps, oriented in the correct polarity.
We use this trick at work, telling the customer they can pwr with 24 ac or dc.
Add some volts for rectifier loss, maybe 12 volts of battery, or 8 nicads at 1.4 full charge which gives 11.2 volts.
cj

yes a transformer would kill the deal, ohm out the ac input and see what it reads.
infinite means it will work, low ohms means a transformer

[quote author="cjenrick"]infinite means it will work, low ohms means a transformer[/quote]
It could also use a voltage doubler for a +/- supply inside - that also won't work with a DC supply.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Looking at a photo of the rear panel of the Audiophile, it appears that the requirement is 9VAC at 1A. Besides the issue of converting DC to AC, you can't provide that kind of current from a small battery pack.

Back