UTC Resonant EQ CGE-1 info sought

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist Turner

I've had this guy laying around for about a year now, time to hook it up, however I just took it appart and i'm stumped as to how to hook it up.

Here's a couple pics.
Cge-1resonanteq.jpg

and the inside:

cge-1resonanteq_inside.jpg

inside on the top row it reads P 1 2 (G) 3 4 (g)
the bottom row reads 50(not hooked up) C & 100 are jumpered 5M & C jumpered and 8 M unused.

does anyone have an old utc catalog which may have info on this, it looks pretty cool and I'd like to couple it with possibly a Spectra Sonics 110 card or something similar, or maybe a V74.

designed to work from a low to medium Z (0-20K ohms) into a high Z (500K or open grid). 18 db insertion loss. No hookup info listed in mine.

Show us the rest of the EQ, tell us what connects to what, give us any markings on the pots, etc. and maybe we can suss it out. It seems that schematics and hookup info are not readily available.

my guess would be 50 as in, 8M as out. C and C as common. wire it up. i doubt it will bite.

My wildassed guess was 50-C-100 and 5M-C-8M were high and low frequency select. (Remember in Ye Olden Days of electronics, "M" was commonly used to mean thousands, whereas we'd used K now and reserve M for millions).

I'd guess next that they are in and out impedance choices with strapping of the unused choice to the common.

Dave that is the whole thing, it's very small, it's just 2 pots hooked to the terminals shown inside. I've managed to figure out Cinema Engineering ones, that were unmarked but I'm a little stumped by the markings on this. I guess if I get time today, I'll run some pig tails with alligator clips or something and see what I get. It's passive I don't think theres much chance of it blowing up or anything :grin:

Thanks Dave, I'll try and get all the info up here this weekend, I'm doing 2000 things at once as usual so, right now healing from my last weeks surgery and finding a good realtor to get my other building sold, and doing my taxes and finishing up 3 cd's at once are at the top of the list. I was just gonna try to slide this in on the side. I'll have to dig in there with a continuity tester to see what is going to what, the pots are unmarked in value.

The more I look at this it looks as if the in and out are definetly on the bottom row, I'm gonna try the alligator clip xlr thingy later(I've been up working all night so who know's if I'll get to it today or not)

Too bad with all the UTC catalogs I've seen floating around at hamfests that this isn't listed somewhere.

It's listed in every UTC catalog I have, but the catalogs don't give hookup info. That's a seperate sheet that came with the piece. It's not covered on the generic terminal sheet you see floating about. Curious for your review when you get it going.

I'm gonna give it a shot at hooking it up tomorrow and see what I get, I've got a pair of Spectra sonic 101 cards to rack tomorrow as well, so I might as well see what happens with the UTC's while I'm at it.

I have the UTC 3a which is my secret weapon for kick drum, nothing in the world like it. Hopefully this will be cool for something as well.

You know as I'm looking at this I wonder if this could be either a choice of 50 or 100 hz on the bass end and 5k or 8k on top, I could put a external switch if that's what it'll do and pick my frequencys, I guess I'll have to report back tomorrow after a few experiments. should be fun

I think someone offered that same conjecture before... Oh, wait:

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]My wildassed guess was 50-C-100 and 5M-C-8M were high and low frequency select. (Remember in Ye Olden Days of electronics, "M" was commonly used to mean thousands, whereas we'd used K now and reserve M for millions).[/quote]

:razz:

Ok, I finally got my Spectra Sonics 101's 90% racked and running and was able to get back to the UTC.

I picked up some alligator clips and ran them to xlr plugs and just inserted it between the preamp and my line input on my board. I'm getting signal, but still unsure of the proper hook up. One way I could get only the high signal working properly , another they were interactive(not a good thing) and the other the bass only. I can't tell if there is an option of 5k and 8k on top or 50 or 100 on bottom, no matter how I hooked it up it sounded more like 100 on bottom than 50. On top it was hard to tell, but sounded more like 5k than 8k. Seriously these things sound really nice, very smooth. Kind of like passive Melcors. But I've got no more time to deal with them for another 4 or 5 months, i"ve just got way too much going on.

I do check on here pretty much everyday so If anyone comes up with the hook up sheet that came with these, please, please, please let us know, I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only guy in the world looking for this info.

If no hookup info becomes available, later this summer, I'll dig deeper into the actual hookup thats there and post a diagram here to see if anyone here can help figure this out, right now, no time.

See my first post about intended impedances. They're not gonna sound right without a correct match. Try it into a DI box at least.

hi twist. I have the hookup sheet.

looking at the unit exactly as you have it pictured, there are 7 pins aross the top.
the far left is the input the far right is the output.

the ones on the bottom are indeed a frequency select.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the CGE-1 is an interstage equalizer and is designed to go between to triode audio stages or will match a high impedance (in the order of 10Kohms) source to grid.

if you have more questions about the unit let me know.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]For the benefit of future generations, could you scan and post whatever info you have?[/quote]

sure, I will do that. give me some time though, I don't own a scanner.

-steve

Thanks. I just stumbled upon your reply, I'll give that a try and see what I get, I'd think i could incorporate this into a tube mic pre with eq.

Did you ever get a chance to scan this? It would be great if you could post it somewhere for the benefit of everyone.

Back