UTC Resonant EQ CGE-1 info sought

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alright.... sorry about the delays.

UTC1
UTC2
UTC3
UTC4
UTC5
UTC6
UTC7

6 has a discription of the CGE-1 and 7 shows the pinout. the first 5 pages are worth reading.
I there actually was one more page that had a schematic for a hi-fi amp that utilized the cge-1. I would have scanned it too, but I got kicked out of kinkos, because they were closing.
hope this is helpful.

its really only one more page. that page is a schematic of a hi-fi stereo amplifier. its pretty rad, but nothing too crazy. I'll certainly try to get it scanned.

NYdave, you're welcome to compile the pages and host them. I'm all about the sharing of information and making it as accessible as possible.

I've got three of these equalizers, and will be building them in to some mic-pres soon. I'll post the results when its done. I have 4-5 other projects before it though.

Are the modules potted? Since both the company and the product line are extinct, it seems it wouldn't be a bad thing to reverse-engineer the circuit, if only for historical interest.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Are the modules potted? Since both the company and the product line are extinct, it seems it wouldn't be a bad thing to reverse-engineer the circuit, if only for historical interest.[/quote]

the modules are potted alright. I was thinking about having them reverse engineered too, but kinda wanted a few for myself before I had one torn apart.

[quote author="Twist Turner"]Great info thanks!!

I have the Utc 3a as well, very cool eq, my secret weapon on kick drum![/quote]

I"ve been looking for one of those myself. pretty rad? I just picked up an old RCA, and an old Collins equalizer. haven't had time to try them out though.

If you picked up the RCA and Collins I'm thinking about, you'll find the Collins to be a real EQ and the RCA to only be a high peak boost correction EQ for telephone line links at radio stations.

I figured the collins was nice, and the RCA was kind of a shot in the dark. I wonder if I could do some cool mods with it though, make it a little more useful. I'll have to take a closer look when I get them.

so got the equalizers today. The Collins is pretty cool... but I expected it to be balanced in and out. it isnt :(. if I wanted to make it so, I would just have to get some 1:1 600 ohm transformers right?

the RCA.... it is indeed a high peak boost correction eq... seems very limited, and kinda pointless for any audio recording application. there are some nice big transformers inside... but I'm not sure that makes it worth it to me.

NO old eq like that is ever balanced. and it doesn't matter either. just pretend like it is unless you hear a problem. Termination impedances are far more important. right on the transformers.

The RCA has two nice big 600:600 iso transformers in it since it was meant for telephone lines interfacing to remote sites. the eq within is still likely unbal. transformers not worth terribly much if pulled out, and eq worth less than now. trans similar in spec to WE 111C.

yeah I'll probably just take the collins as is. you're right, if it sounds great now... why change it?

the RCA, I asked the guy I got it from if I could exchange it for somehting that would be more useful to me. we'll see what he says.

impulse buys!... what a pain

Latest posts

Back