DIY mid-field monitors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Anybody seen this?:
http://www.gr-research.com/catalog.htm

As has been discussed before, I'm still hoping to find a good DIY monitor. I'm going to be about 6 feet from my monitors, and I don't have a sub either. Has anyone any experience with these kits, or any advice on where to find plans on something specific for that aplication? Sorry if this is very vague. I have some woodworking experience and acces to a good shop, so that's no problem. I have found my near-field monitors (Roland Crapand about 2-3 feet away) very fatiguing (sp) and I was thinking that more distance will be a good thing.

:guinness:

Joel

Have you checked Wilmslow audio? http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

I've used the Volt Home Monitor before. The Volt mid / bass driver is a thing of beauty, although I did find the Scanspeak tweeter slightly shrill. Maybe the peaky top is a crossover thing, the ones I used were passive. Overall detail is superb.

Justin

Hmmm..eeerr..dispite the past, and for no other reason other than mho..

If you can get sismofyt, slowblow etc Mr Ole Frost to talk about the speakers he build..which are imho some of the very best sounding speakers I have ever heard in my life..I have been in many a room and worked on speakers from Genelec 1030A/31A´s, Dynaudio BM5/6 BM15, and M1`s..Yamaha´s...JBL´s.. B&O´s B&W`s..you name it..nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to the "moments from the past" listening to music on Ole´s speakers..

Kind regards

Peter

This enters the WHY NOT? category... maybe not now because my lack of time... worth a try!

Ole gave us some insite on his loudspeaker thinking on the other forum. I have some files if you want to see what he said...

This guy is a great friend. He helped me a lot with lots of stupid wuestions about my projects as lots of other menbers in here. I hope he is OK.

Probably he will be posting here in a few days.

Hi!!

I am very interested in this...I have spent a lot of time this summer reading about speaker designs.

I have plans to build a 3-way mid-field monitor when I have the cash.

I have been looking at mating a Volt radial bass driver with possibly an ATC midrange and either or Morel or Ribbon tweeter in separate sealed enclosures or possibly a TL......there seem to be so many options.

I would love to hear more from people here with more experience. Does Barefoot know we are here?

Cheers Tom

Tom,

Probably not but I was about to put this link to John Sayers studio design site up here with the barefooted one in mind............. http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php ...........when I came across your post.

Now if I hadn't gone to a pub to listen to a band I might have been here to get first mention of B'foot :grin: .

:cool:

Hi guys, can somebody tell me if is theres a good DIY amp to build and match with near field monitors? I'm finding "class A amps" but im not sure if these are the ones that i must use for a good reference in a studio with a passive near field monitors.
Thanks in advance to all you :grin:

Arnau

Thanks for the tips :grin:
I found the gainclone, it looks atractive but some people dont like it and Id like to build a "secure" one because now I havent a good amp to my studio monitors and I cant spend in testing or building diferent gear.
The Rod Elliot's 3A looks good, has anybody build it? can be a neutral sounding amplifier? I found JLH Class-A amplifier too "http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/index-1.htm" anybody knows it? looks like an option but my skill is unsuficient to know if its a fake or a "mystificated" design...

Arnau

[quote author="TomWaterman"] Does Barefoot know we are here?[/quote]
Hey, wasn't there an old Saturday morning cartoon where the main character would be saying "where are you?" to some genie or something, and then the genie would suddenly appear in the nick of time?

The Flintstones and that Kazoo guy, or maybe... yeah, Mr. Wizard! ;)

What's up?

Latest posts

Back