Newbie questions about the Supergreen shematic.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagoausente

This is the project page: http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/supergreen.html

The schematic: http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/supergreen/supergreen_schematic.pdf

and the instructions for the supply: http://www.akustische-kunst.org/audio/supergreen/supergreen_instructions.pdf

Well, for Ne5532 +/20 volt, 5 volt for relays, and 48volt for phatom.
So, the Ne5532 datascheme, tells a range from +-3 to +-20 volt. So, the opamps can be supplied for example with +-15 volt, but would be any problem in the circuit? I see one point that tells 17V on the schematic.
This doubt would be if for example I want to compare with other opamps, that need max +-15, instead the +-20 of the 5532.

Second question is about the 5v for relays, could avoid relays and use a current swith for phatom and hi/low Z? and forget the phase one, and so avoid the 5V?

The higher voltage for the 5532 gives you more headroom in the preamp, which is a very good thing for signals like drum mics and bass guitar that may have large transients. The 5532 will operate on +/- 15V, but with less headroom. I tend to favor the sound of semiconductor circuits operated at higher rail voltages.

You can eliminate the 5V supply by using relays with higher coil voltages. My favorite Omron PCB relays (G6A series) come in coil voltages from 5V up to 24V. I suppose you could use a semiconductor switch for phantom, but I really don't like passing audio signals through semiconductor switches, so I would tend to avoid using it for the impedance switch.

[quote author="crazytooguy"]The higher voltage for the 5532 gives you more headroom in the preamp, which is a very good thing for signals like drum mics and bass guitar that may have large transients. The 5532 will operate on +/- 15V, but with less headroom. I tend to favor the sound of semiconductor circuits operated at higher rail voltages.[/quote]

Ok, the question is because if I want to try a diferent op-amp, and compare. The linear Lt1537 needs +/- 15V. So, no bug in any other point of the circuit as consequence?

You can eliminate the 5V supply by using relays with higher coil voltages. My favorite Omron PCB relays (G6A series) come in coil voltages from 5V up to 24V. I suppose you could use a semiconductor switch for phantom, but I really don't like passing audio signals through semiconductor switches, so I would tend to avoid using it for the impedance switch
And so for the phaptom swith, just a pcb mount switch instead relay?
No have to ask, what´s the advantage of use relays?

The 5532 won't give you poor performance at +/- 15V, just less headroom, so if you want to compare opamp types in a circuit, it would work fine.

As for switches, a boardmounted switch is equivalent to a relay, if the concern is keeping signal paths short and on the PCB. I use relays to replace a panelmounted switch that I would have to fly a wire to from the board. A board mounted switch is pretty much the same as a relay in terms of preserving signal quality.

As for switches, a boardmounted switch is equivalent to a relay, if the concern is keeping signal paths short and on the PCB. I use relays to replace a panelmounted switch that I would have to fly a wire to from the board

Understand now why the use of relays, thanks. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back