8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Got some prices from the PCB house. If I can get folks to commit to a total of 10 boards I can offer them at $25ea. That's pretty much my cost. It gets a lot cheaper if I order more and more expensive if I order less. Please let me know if that's of interest and I'll start a new thread.

Best,

M.

madriaanse said:
Hi Guys,

Got some prices from the PCB house. If I can get folks to commit to a total of 10 boards I can offer them at $25ea. That's pretty much my cost. It gets a lot cheaper if I order more and more expensive if I order less. Please let me know if that's of interest and I'll start a new thread.

Best,

M.
I can take 2pcs Martin. Are these using a Carnhill VTB9046 as input trafo? What is the gain range on this?

Hi Martin do you want to start a felling thread, and let it run for some weeks to see how much interest do we gather?

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested

thanks

Hawkmoon said:
Hi! I'm for 2pcb of ez1290 please. shipping to spain :)

Thank you!

Hello,

EZ1290 boards can be purchased here:
http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/parts/products/ez1290-preamp-pcb

Or here (if you're in Australia):
http://www.echofix.com/collections/diy-mic-preamp-kits/products/diy-neve-1290-1073-circuit-board

Best,

M.

Whoops said:
Hi Martin do you want to start a felling thread, and let it run for some weeks to see how much interest do we gather?

I'm sure a lot of people will be interested

thanks

Done :)

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=61525.0

I've tried to do a search, but came up with nothing.

Has anyone built one of these with NOS carbon comp resistors?
Any benefit?

Thanks
Neil

Whoops said:
Le Roux said:

Any benefit?

Thanks
Neil

Why would someone do something like that?

There's a BOM for 5% carbon, and lots of projects that are ptp that people are using NOS carbon comps, LA-2A etc. Why do they do it?

Le Roux said:
Whoops said:
Le Roux said:

Any benefit?

Thanks
Neil

There's a BOM for 5% carbon, and lots of projects that are ptp that people are using NOS carbon comps, LA-2A etc. Why do they do it?

5% carbon is Carbon Film resistors and not Carbon Composition

In LA-2A and tube circuits most of the people that use Carbon Comp is because of looks, they look vintage.
Never seen it in a Neve type circuit though.

Metal Film Resistor - Less Noise,  Low tolerance
Carbon Composition Resistor - More Noise, higher tolerance

Easy choice.

Whoops said:
Le Roux said:
Whoops said:
Le Roux said:

Any benefit?

Thanks
Neil

5% carbon is Carbon Film resistors and not Carbon Composition

In LA-2A and tube circuits most of the people that use Carbon Comp is because of looks, they look vintage.
Never seen it in a Neve type circuit though.

Metal Film Resistor - Less Noise,  Low tolerance
Carbon Composition Resistor - More Noise, higher tolerance

Easy choice.

Dale/Vishay CMF (or RN, military grade) series resistors look old-school-isch and have low tolerances (1%) and noise. Also easy to find in large electronics distributors and are relatively cheap.
I'm using it to build Mila preamp (p2p).
1_18771559-c85a-472c-8950-6845159b11ae_2048x2048.jpeg

Whoops said:
With Looks or no Looks I still don't see any reason at all to use in any circuit carbon composition resistors instead of 1% Metal Film resistors!

These are metal film resistors btw.

I did not know Neve didn't use carbon comp.

As for other projects, I quote about using carbon comps from a gdiy member
" Bring the noise!

If someone offered me either a clean modern handmade copy of a classic piece of kit with precision componants all around, or an original unit with aging period parts, I'd pick the original every time!

I've spent enough on some DIY gears' parts from just sourcing the correct old bits that I could have almost bought the real thing  :eek: The definition of insanity?  :-X"

To each their own.

I find everyones opinion interesting, and use their opinions to make my decisions.

That being said, I've made my decision, and lets start building Neve preamps!  ;D

Cheers!

I've built these using both types of resistors and slightly prefer metal film. Carbon sounds a bit dull to me. Metal film a little more open and liquid. Sorry for the audiophile descriptions!  ;)

Hi, guys   

I planning to make a 2ch 1290 mic pre, but first i want to ask you somethings:

-What is the EH10023-2  and EK20032    that is on the BOM?

-If I want the phantom power, i need to take a JLM kit "go between",  and a PSU that give 48v and 24v, right?

-nemo- said:
Hi, guys   

I planning to make a 2ch 1290 mic pre, but first i want to ask you somethings:

-What is the EH10023-2  and EK20032    that is on the BOM?

-If I want the phantom power, i need to take a JLM kit "go between",  and a PSU that give 48v and 24v, right?
for phantom power you need a PSU with a 48V rail output and a 24V rail output for the circuit but you dont need the Go Between.

Just read the Assembly documentation on this project all the info you need is there , Martin explains how to connect the phamtom power On/off with led indicator, you need 1 switch, 3  resistors and 1 LED

Back