"What" compressor finished....and it works!!!!!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aharon

Just finished the "what" comp and it works fine.
I connected it to my little mixer (send/return),plugged it in .....and voila...gain reduction.
The "Compression" LED light's up with the audio,what does the other yellow LED do or suppossed to do?,or is it there just to provide a voltage drop or something cause mine is not lighting up.
Very subtle too,might leave it as is or do the gain mod and change the resistor value to more than 10K,MAYBE 20k or so but not sure cause I'm building more stuff,can't stop........
So if somebody can put me at ease with that LED and what's suppossed to do I thank you.
Tomorrow I'll build the "Green" pre.
Thanks a million to Kev,Peterc and all.
Aharon :grin: :cool:

Great for you Aharon,

any chance we can see some pictures of your newborn baby?
Cool that you start building more rightaway!

Cheers,

Tony

Sure,I'll try to post something in a few minutes.Don't laugh but it's only one channel and has no case yet.I wasn't sure I could pull it off so I chickened out buying the rack case but for sure I'll build the other channel soon and house it,same with the Green pre.
Do you know anything about that LED?.
See you in 10'.
Thanks
Aharon

Congrats!

Do you like the sound of it? I do. :)
One of the LEDs doesn't light up, don't worry. :)

enjoy your new opto compressor!

cheers!
Fabio

Thanks guys,I feel like i'm starting to belong......
Here's a not so good picture of it,I'll desolder that long lead for the other LED and just put it on the board,I thought it would light up indicating something so......what do i know.
I like the way it sounds,very quiet and transparent but it's doing it's thing,the way you want it for certain things.I have to play with it a bit more and record something.
Thanks again to ALL.
Aharon
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/liv_energy/detail?.dir=/5919&.dnm=ae0e.jpg

:green:

Yeah,used a vactrol,that's why it took me so long to gather parts and get on with the build because I had to send for it(got it from Small Bear).I hate buying through the mail unless I must.I could not find vactrols anywhere near my area and I have at least 4 places where I shop within 10 blocks of the house.
I like that it's quiet,it does not introduce any noise into the signal.I'd like to experiment and build one using a yellow LED and an LDR,those are just $1 or so.
I wonder if one could use those NSL-32 optoisolators to build something similar?.
Aharon

[quote author="moosapotamus"]Nice looking stuff you've built, Aharon. The "What" is something I need to add to my (perpetually expanding) to-do list.

~ Charlie[/quote]

Hey moosapotamus,nice hearing from you here too.
The ever expanding list......I hear you bro.....now if I had more time.....
Thanks for the compliment.
Take care
Aharon

Back