capacitors in distortion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolay

Hi I like to make a capacitor modification in a classic ibanez overdrive TS9
Schematics here:
http://www.muzique.com/schem/ts808.gif

I have one question about 2x 1uF and the output 10uF capacitor.
which one is better here: Wima capacitors or tantal capacitors?
In some my boxes I use Wima for NP 1uF caps but they are more expensive than tantals.

Thanks!

I´m doing a new TS too , I´ve seen some pictures of robert keeley modified TS and he is using some panasonic Vseries for the 1uF caps. he is also using films caps for the tone cap(.22). I don´t know what is he using for the 10u on the output, maybe he use the stock, I don´t know.
A friend of mine had the opportunity to prove the tubescreamer of mister Francisco Peña and he say it was very transparent. I suspect he is using wimas.

Go to Aron's page for effects and the boring overated TS 808,9 etc lots of posts. The TS is one of the most over rated effects on the web IMO. I have changed parts in a lot of TS effects starting about 95.

Caps are cheap, ICs are cheap try different ones yourself. Don't believe what you read on the web.

People don't get the 808 clones right IMO. I have checked two real ones that had the "sound" people are missing it and I won't share.

A rangemaster type circuit is often liked better that a TS circuit with my limited testing. I have a number of TS and TS like effects with different parts ICs and Caps etc. I let friends try them to hear whatone they like and then change the parts in their TS. I leave the room and the effects are not marked for mods. I also have aDIY Si BJT rangemaster type often the rangemaster type is liked better than any TS stock or changed parts.

Latest posts

Back