Where to find transistor substitutes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckylocky

Hey folks!

Can anyone give me a hint where to find substitutes for a TI597? Have an vintage Moog Model-D. And I absolutely want to fix that Dino.

Cheers Patr!ck

> substitutes for a TI597?

As mediatechnology sez: TIS97 was a pioneering hi-Beta NPN. And as he says, NTE199 sure ought to work. Depending on circuit details, it might work with almost "any" small NPN pulled from a local electronics shop's bins or from old gear. True, it might really need the Hfe~300. But the TIS97 was so ubiquitous that it was used even where a low-gain part would be fine. It is what Dave calls a "jelly-bean" transistor.

2N5088 will probably work, with higher Hfe than 2N2222 or 2N3904. Any of these should be globally available. 2N3904 and the '2222 must still be two of the Top Ten transistors, and 2N5088 was everywhere in mass produced audio until chips took over.

Here is a "modern" datasheet.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/TI/TIS97.pdf

My dim recollection of my missing decades says that the original TIS97 was a larger epoxy blob with a triangular pinout?

Hmmmm.... may be a memory leak. SynthFool has "TIS97 NPN Transistor Used in Minimoogs" and shows the inline leads. Apparently the store is closed for business.

Thanx guys!
Maybe I need glasses too :oops: !
Got some "2222" today - won't have time before monday but I'll keep you up to date how it sounds.

Thanks again!!

Cheers Patr!ck

Latest posts

Back