Toroid transformer mounting kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

Anybody has any tip on where I can get toroid transformer mounting kits? i.e. the rubber pads, big disc washer, bolt, nut.

The toroid transformer does not have an epoxy filled center.

Thanks!

I got this awesome stuff from home depot a few months ago. It's a soft blue rod with a white center. You cut off a chunck, mix it with your hands and it is the consistency of putty. Well, it is putty. place it on or in what you want to use it for and in 15 minutes its hard as brick and stuck in place.
I would use this along with a bolt to fill the center with a bolt in place to make the hole. when it dries, back the bolt out. Viola...instant filling. one tube was like 5 bucks, and I've used it to mount standoffs, hold nuts in place, and repair a hole in the vacuum cleaner tube.

[quote author="cannikin"]Avel Lindberg[/quote]
+1 called them up and they sent it FOC to the UK

You can try a beaker stopper. You can get one that already has a hole. They're tapered and they expand as you tighten the bolt. It's a nice alternative if you're trying to squeeze a toroid into a 1u chassis.

You can also cut your own using a hole saw.

Emailed Avel and still no response. I got these transformers from them too.

That beaker stopper looks like a neat idea. Link?
EDIT: Too expensive...

Duhhhh... ignore my post guys. I feel stupid.

I called Avel and told them I did not receive mounting kits from my order of transformers, and spoke to someone on the phone, she told me to look under the box and there they were... all 25pcs of them.

Problem solved.

[quote author="owel"]That beaker stopper looks like a neat idea. Link?
EDIT: Too expensive...[/quote]

Dude, they're like 50 cents for the big ones. Try searching for "test tube stopper" and you might get more hits.

If you go with the epoxy filled center idea, you can also try gas tank repair epoxy. Comes in a stick, you just knead it for a minute then shove it the hole.

like to point out that the epoxy stuff may not be as reliable as we'd like:

if it is brick hard it may stress the windings as they expand/contract when heating up.

i wonder if the proper epoxy is slightly flexy?

it is a convenient way to mount a torroid--tape over the bottom side hole, flip over, fill it most the way up and drill a hole for the bolt when the stuff cures

[quote author="tonebucket"]Does anyone have pics of the toroid attachment kits and the monting hole???? :cool: :cool:[/quote]

Scroll down to the Power Transformer kit.

http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=45

[quote author="owel"][quote author="tonebucket"]Does anyone have pics of the toroid attachment kits and the monting hole???? :cool: :cool:[/quote]

Scroll down to the Power Transformer kit.

http://fivefishstudios.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=45[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. :grin: :grin:

I am surprised the kit uses a metal pin as that would effect the magnetic field of the transformer!!

I may have a better idea on how to mount it than using a metal pin.

Does anyone know how much a toroid transformer weighs?? :grin: :grin:

Here are more ways to mount a toroid.

http://avellindberg.com/transformers/custom_designs.htm

I am surprised the kit uses a metal pin as that would effect the magnetic field of the transformer!!

Per the Avel website: The metal chassis should not touch both ends of the mounting bolt. This causes a shorted turn, which would overheat the transformer rapidly and cause its destruction.

[quote author="owel"]Here are more ways to mount a toroid.

http://avellindberg.com/transformers/custom_designs.htm

Per the Avel website: The metal chassis should not touch both ends of the mounting bolt. This causes a shorted turn, which would overheat the transformer rapidly and cause its destruction.[/quote]

Thanks for the link :wink: :wink:

My thoughts

Polyester tape, might not hold the transformer in place.

A Metal can would inhibit air flow and effect the magneticfield, an enclosure would inhibit air flow.

Latest posts

Back