DIY T4 LDR Tester

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
OK, I am fed up with the T4 thing, except for Kubi.

So I am going to burn a board for a T4 LDR tester, supply the artwork, it takes a transformer from rat shack, some leds, some redulators, some trim pots, in the end, you will have a precision LDR calibrater and matcher so everybody in the world can build their own LA2.

Picking a world wide part number for a green LED so that we can say 200 microamps = 80 K on a good cell- is that possible?
We will find out.
The LED will have to be consistant and readiably available, so that an HMLP 4700 in US = Calibrated T4 in Germany.

This is an area for quick research.
Maybe even a Radio Shack LED, but they might be all over the place.
I could yuse some help in designing a precision current source, which can be trimmed out each session, for the leds.

Thinking LM317 adj with J202 or precision referance.

A green LED doesn't translate very well to 'real world' applications - the LA-2A and LA-3A use electroluminescent panels whose color spectrums are more in the light blue range (and vary depending on the frequencies fed into them); LA-4s and LA-5s use red LEDs. There is also no way to guarantee consistent intensity between LEDs of the same type based simply on voltage or current draw. You would need a calibrated meter such as a photographer's exposure meter to do that.

Also, the dynamic characteristics of the photocell determine the sound more than the simple 'on' resistance.

Not trying to 'poo-poo' the project, just trying to share some real-word experience after trying many ways to test T4's that failed miserably.

Joe, were way ahead of you here, but I hear ya.

OK, I figured out a constant current mechanism good to 3 point acuracy, or microamps, precision regs and fets not good enuff, we need opamp servo circuit, so i took a 4-20 ma sensor circuit and scled down the current.

This is the correct way to supply the leds, without a doubt. temp stable, the whole nine yards.

I downlaoded AP's circuit maker, pretty cool, spits out a gerber,
see the sofware mets, much better than si metrix form Caetna orwhatever that company is.

just 24 volt single supply, 4 ea. 4-20 sensors heavily modified, (take out the 20 ma front end, tweak the 4 ma for lower current, and thats it.

Latest posts

Back