Latest Fet Microphone Construction

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

This is Gus's latest FET mic. Have a good look at the construction. He has used a single metal bar to support the whole citcuit. The shell is an old fence post. I think it is a pretty cool way of building the mic. Gus will drop by and say a bit about the circuit and construction.

GusFet2.JPG

GusFet1.JPG

:thumb:

Its a mxlv57 capsule. The top one has the circuit that sounds good. the bottom picture is one with a small transformer it is to small the circuit would fizz at higher levels.

It's the simple km84 circuit. The top picture uses a homemade 5 PF cap(twisted red teflon wire) It is hard to find <20pf polystyrenes. It also uses a LL1636.

That capsule is only in it for a test. I made other top plates that I can mount capsules to to test. With the LD microphones you can get rid of a few parts of the stock KM84 circuit because the capsule does not have to have one side grounded. The circuit I use give up about 1V of capsule voltage and hase two less caps and one less resistor.

As I have said in the past i get about 4 fets that bias nice out of 100.

The body is a piece of fence tube I cut with a pipe cutter and hacksaw and files. The screen is 16X16 49% open steel I use a torch to solder in place. I machined the base on my lathe and used hand tools to make the backbone.

DIY with what you have is fun!!!!

That's too cool using a fence post! It's model # could be "FP-1". :green:

BTW, did you paint it with "Hammertone" finish paint? Looks good! :thumb:

Cool!

Now Gus, tell me... I assume that you have somewhere a tube mic with the same trafo--what do you say about difference between tube and SS versions?
BTW, does it have a PSU?

Back