EZ1084EQ NEW BATCH COMING - SEE MY MARCH 27 COMMENT ON PAGE 38

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a stereo EZ1084 in 2U enclosure with custom (Neve like) front panel, step-attenuators and all parts stereo matched...
It's also designed to offer the necessary space for the upcoming EZ1290LE - and still using only ONE gain switch per channel for both mic stages and the line stage. As per the original. So I think it's doable without using extra switches for line and mic, but be aware - a lot of hand wiring is necessary!!  ;)

And you'll need a pretty deep enclosure...

Here's the link to my build thread:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=55717.0

What an awesome EQ!!! Thank you so much Jim for this cool project!!
Martin

Martin has built a beauty here. Check out his work. Respect goes out to him for this endeavour.

Wiring all that up to a board that was meant to be soldered directly was no small feat! Very intricate and patient work.

Hats off.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All,
            I just finished a couple of projects , a pair of EZ1290's and a pair of these EZ1084EQ's. I now know where the EZ comes from  ;D

Jim has done a fantastic job in building this project, the documentation and build guide are right on !!  It was pretty much strait forward,  got a custom  Anodized 2U front panel from Dan , I used the  (+) side of an mnats 1176 PSU with trimmer for +24vdc-bridge rectifier (+) in on-board side of D3 , (-) in CT pad, and AC in off-board side of D1 and D4, everything else is per BOM.
Input/output, inductors and switches from Colin at AML , went kinda nutz with the knobs, had  the freq select and cut/boost stripped and re-anodized , machine shop lost one of them so dealing with that now but couldn't wait to post pix.

She sounds wonderful , full and smooth ;)

Thanks to Jim and this great place , I have learned so much, but have so much more to learn  :)

more pix here - https://goo.gl/photos/ybB8mH2afJB3ftnb8

Attachments

• Front-001WEB.jpg
    Front-001WEB.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 137
Wow! Nice double vision!

I like that you installed the power supply in the case. I presume you ar enot getting any extraneous noise from it's proximity?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks so much Jim !! 
                                  No noise or humm that I can hear , not sure on how to accurately measure noise floor but seems very quiet.  I was inspired by Kingston and his " Kingston Duct "  in a D-LA2A build where he used a piece of conduit pipe  Earth grounded that he ran the AC power switch wires through shielding them. I was going to do the same thing with my D-LA2A and was surfing GDIY and found another member that essentially did the same thing but with ss over braid , I found some on ebay and have run my mains wires through it soldering a wire to it and earthing it then putting shrink wrap over it, have done this on a few projects now, not sure if I actually had a noise problem with any of them but its cheap and doesn't take much extra time , dresses the mains wires well and just adds a little more protection  ;D

I haven't had a chance to use the  EQ on a lot of things yet, but from the few things I've run through it so far its a very useful EQ , describing sound is so subjective but to me its  full and smooth sounding, nice big and tight bottom end and low mids, top is crisp and just using the gain amp in soft bypass can be very beneficial  ;D

AHHH ANYONE KNOW ANY TROUBLE SHOOTING FOR GROUNDING ISSUE IM USING THE FIVE FISH POWER SUPPLY AUDIO PASSES THROUGH AND EVERYTHING BUT I GET A PRETTY BAD BUZZING  IN THE BACKROUND

Ive already tried all the grounding trouble shooting on the power supply, and on the board, inputs and outputs.

CAN someone HELP ME!!!!!! Ive got 2 of these completely built and both have the exact same issue :( I just wanna get one running

The best way for me or anyone to help you is to give us more details.

I sent you a few emails about that but I am not getting answers to my questions. The more answers I have the better I can help you.
I'm sure it's same for everyone here. Get back to me. Thanks.

Cheers

Jim

Mr.GrinchSD said:
AHHH ANYONE KNOW ANY TROUBLE SHOOTING FOR GROUNDING ISSUE IM USING THE FIVE FISH POWER SUPPLY AUDIO PASSES THROUGH AND EVERYTHING BUT I GET A PRETTY BAD BUZZING  IN THE BACKROUND

Ive already tried all the grounding trouble shooting on the power supply, and on the board, inputs and outputs.

CAN someone HELP ME!!!!!! Ive got 2 of these completely built and both have the exact same issue :( I just wanna get one running

Be aware that the inductors of this EQ are very susceptible to magnetic fields - so If you have it in the rack above or below another piece of gear of which the power tranny is maybe mounted outside this can cause interferences.
I had it once with my LA2A mounted right above the 1084s. a Mu-metal shield around the power tranny helped.

On a different note if you still have the buzz no matter where it sits in- or outside the rack you can try the following:

I also use the five fish psi and had some buzz going on. The original 1084 is designed to work with voltages from +18V to +24V
So what I did I turned down the +24V voltage just slightly and at 23.3V the buzz disappeared.

Maybe this works for you as well ;)
Good luck

Gents,
So I'm 97%  done stuffing an ez1084 board (which are really nice btw Jim) and was wondering if i could use a 180pf 50v styrene cap at c81 which calls for a 180pf 100v Wima?  Everything around that cap are low voltage (25v) tantalums and electrolytics so it looks like I would be fine but just wanted to be sure.
Thanks
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Absolutely you can.

Glad you are enjoying the build. Post some pictures when you are finished. Would love ot see it.

Cheers

Jim

Rocinante said:
Gents,
So I'm 97%  done stuffing an ez1084 board (which are really nice btw Jim) and was wondering if i could use a 180pf 50v styrene cap at c81 which calls for a 180pf 100v Wima?  Everything around that cap are low voltage (25v) tantalums and electrolytics so it looks like I would be fine but just wanted to be sure.
Thanks
Dylan

I am planning on using a single external psu to power 2 ez1290's and an ez1084.  I  am currently using this  22v 50va Antek  http://www.antekinc.com/as-0522-50va-22v-transformer/  to power the two 1290's.  Do you guys see any problems with powering  the 1084 as well?  I am okay with picking up another toroidal if I have to but it would be real sweat if this worked alright.
Thanks

P.S.  I was off on the pitch of the 1500pf 630v cap and am awaiting one in the mail then this guy will be ready to go.  Today or tomorrow at the latest hopefully.

You should be fine. Since I do not know what power supply you are using, best thing is to try and verify to see if you get a significant voltage drop  turning on all the units. Measure the EZ1084EQ input voltage  with it on then start turning the 1290 preamps one by one. If you see more than 1vdc drop then power supply is not able to handle it. The VA should be enough but maybe the power supply limits current. I doubt it but you need to test just in case. Don't just trust the XFR VA spec..

Cheers

Jim

Rocinante said:
I am planning on using a single external psu to power 2 ez1290's and an ez1084.  I  am currently using this  22v 50va Antek  http://www.antekinc.com/as-0522-50va-22v-transformer/  to power the two 1290's.  Do you guys see any problems with powering  the 1084 as well?  I am okay with picking up another toroidal if I have to but it would be real sweat if this worked alright.
Thanks

P.S.  I was off on the pitch of the 1500pf 630v cap and am awaiting one in the mail then this guy will be ready to go.  Today or tomorrow at the latest hopefully.

Thanks Jim,
Yeah that was silly of me not too mention I am using a Five Fish to power the two 1290's.  One at a time is a good idea.  I feel I am cutting it close though.  Good thing I didn't sport led's all over the 1290's front panel.  I hadn't planned on powering anything other than the two 1290's when i had picked it up.  Note to self; always think big.

Dylan

It should be fine to power the 3 modules.

Cheers

Jim

Rocinante said:
Thanks Jim,
Yeah that was silly of me not too mention I am using a Five Fish to power the two 1290's.  One at a time is a good idea.  I feel I am cutting it close though.  Good thing I didn't sport led's all over the 1290's front panel.  I hadn't planned on powering anything other than the two 1290's when i had picked it up.  Note to self; always think big.

Dylan

.... and it is slick.  Or silk.  ...ahh it's both. 
So I finally finished this a few days ago and am just awaiting some Marconi and Neve fluted knobs.  I lucked out and had many of the Wima caps so just went through Mouser for the rest.  Front panel is one of Dan's from Collective Cases.  Fortunately I was able to use the same external psu (Five Fish) that I run my 1290's off of which definitely cut down in time and cost.  Excellent project that is now an excellent EQ.  It's real perty too.  It's like Wimatropolis.  Played some acoustic guitar through it as well as various basses and defintely liked what I heard.  Very musical.  Still need to do more testing but it sounds pretty damn good so far.
  Thank you very much Bluzzi (Jim) for providing me/us with the opportunity to have such a sweet (and understandably coveted) EQ in my arsenal.
NnqY2qfl.jpg

Rocinante said:
.... and it is slick.  Or silk.  ...ahh it's both. 
So I finally finished this a few days ago and am just awaiting some Marconi and Neve fluted knobs.  I lucked out and had many of the Wima caps so just went through Mouser for the rest.  Front panel is one of Dan's from Collective Cases.  Fortunately I was able to use the same external psu (Five Fish) that I run my 1290's off of which definitely cut down in time and cost.  Excellent project that is now an excellent EQ.  It's real perty too.  It's like Wimatropolis.  Played some acoustic guitar through it as well as various basses and defintely liked what I heard.  Very musical.  Still need to do more testing but it sounds pretty damn good so far.
  Thank you very much Bluzzi (Jim) for providing me/us with the opportunity to have such a sweet (and understandably coveted) EQ in my arsenal.
NnqY2qfl.jpg

Ah! Another baby is born! I notice you already got it a dollhouse!

Use it well and wisely. Enjoy!  (the EQ not necessarily the dollhouse!).  ;D

Cheers

Jim

The prototype has passed the tests after correcting small errors. Now I need to order corrected boards.

I do have prototypes. Contact me at my usual email on page 1.

Cheers

Jim

rainton said:
Alright Jim,

it's been a long time - any chances we'll see the 1290LE for xmas??  8) ;D

Have a great week!
Martin

Latest posts

Back