EZ1084EQ NEW BATCH COMING - SEE MY MARCH 27 COMMENT ON PAGE 38

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving my eq`s! They sound really gorgeous. Just running a track through does something really magic to the signal; it`s the perfect companion to a modern digital environment.

So what`s next Bluzzi? Any chance for a 1081 (not 1084) with all stepped controls?  8)

fragletrollet said:
Loving my eq`s! They sound really gorgeous. Just running a track through does something really magic to the signal; it`s the perfect companion to a modern digital environment.

So what`s next Bluzzi? Any chance for a 1081 (not 1084) with all stepped controls?  8)

Thanks for the Kuddos! Appreciate it. It's great to hear people using the EQs to make music.

I really looked into the 1081 and I could make them but it would be prohibitively expensive to build! Some parts would have to be substituted to a point where it would not be an exact clone anymore. Some people get fussy in those areas!

The EZ1084EQ is really as close as one is going to get to the original schematics of the NEVE 1084. By that I mean I did not deviate from the original schematics except when a value was no longer available I found the closest. Nevertheless the EZ1084EQ has a great sonic signature that some may argue is not exactly as in a vintage original 1084 but it's a great sound nevertheless.

Not sure if I could get that close with the 1081. Maybe if enough people were interested.

Cheers

JIm

Bluzzi said:
Not sure if I could get that close with the 1081. Maybe if enough people were interested.

Cheers

JIm

Hi Jim,
I'm sure people would be interested in a 1081.
The work you have done with the 1084 is amazing and with a similar project for the 1081 I'm sure people would jump into it even if some substitutions were needed. Fortunately the Iron is available.

Thank you

Whoops said:
Bluzzi said:

Cheers

JIm

Hi Jim,
I'm sure people would be interested in a 1081.
The work you have done with the 1084 is amazing and with a similar project for the 1081 I'm sure people would jump into it even if some substitutions were needed. Fortunately the Iron is available.

Thank you

I have a few new projects coming up this year. When they get to the stage where they are ready I can have a look at the 1081 again. I still think it's an expensive project so it needs to be done right.

If I recall there already was one done a while back by a Montrealer and it had all kinds of errors in it. So being from Montreal I wouldn't want to shame our city twice! :cool:

Everything is doable right? It just takes time and money to do it properly and with proper documentation and a clear Build Guide. It would have to be an EZ1081EQ!

Cheers

Jim

Sounds great, nice to hear there is some interest! Looking forward to hearing you progress on the matter.

So... any chance to having a sneak-peek on your current projects?  8)

Sorry for late at the keyboard here. (been sick all week with a bad one).

The EZ1290LE is essentially the missing part that is needed to add a mike input to the EZ1084EQ. So by itself it is not a complete 1290 mike pre but because a 1290 uses redundant circuitry already in the 1084 active section all that was needed was some transistors, caps and resistors. I added some features for convenience, Phase, Phantom, Impedance and Pad as well as Mike/Line.

I'll have more official news when they become available.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

here's what i came out with  :)
Took some time but it finally it ended up great.  No problems.

Have a look at the name on the front-panel  ;)
Btw. front-panel again from Frank (http://www.frontpanels.de/)

Did some first tests on a drum bus - GREAT!!  :eek:

Thanks for such a great project.

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• IMG_4436b.jpg
    IMG_4436b.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 156
... here's the inside.
Nothing special...

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• IMG_4438c.jpg
    IMG_4438c.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 217
... maybe this is for interest to somebody!?

During the build i did a quick PSU comparison.
I had an old Siemens N224 PSU (tested on 1 channel) and the finial STMP PSU.

Notice the "precision" is only set to "7"; i missed to set it higher...
The unit was set to: full gain, all EQ bands full in.

So, I think this gives a rough idea... to me it was fine.

I played along with some filtering caps, but with no big different results.

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• MyPSU_Test_#2b.jpg
    MyPSU_Test_#2b.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 56
Do you have 120 or 220 VAC going into the power supply? I don't see any power transformer there.

Nice build DR. Good to see that the v1 boards are still being born.

Cheers

Jim

Dr_J said:
... maybe this is for interest to somebody!?

During the build i did a quick PSU comparison.
I had an old Siemens N224 PSU (tested on 1 channel) and the finial STMP PSU.

Notice the "precision" is only set to "7"; i missed to set it higher...

So, I think this gives a rough idea... to me to was fine.

I played along with some filtering caps, but with no big different results.

ROCK-ON!

Hi Jim,

220VAC going into the little STMP on the right side. As you said, the boards don't need much current.

ROCK-ON.

I am currently looking at finding some small power supply that would fit in case like that one.

Are STMP readily available? I could not find anything.

Cheers

Jim

Dr_J said:
Hi Jim,

220VAC going into the little STMP on the right side. As you said, the boards don't need much current.

ROCK-ON.

Hi Jim,

well i think they're readily available. I use these ones in quite a few builds:
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/510226/ACDC-Einbaunetzteil-SunPower-SPS-025-24-24-VDC-11-A-25-W?ref=searchDetail

http://www.sunpower.com.tw/p2-products.asp?classify_1=01

ROCK-ON!

Powered up my dual 1084, and no smoke! :)

Hard bypass works, normal bypass passes signal, but is distorted, and normal operation doesn't work, no signal, no nothing.
This is happening on both boards, same case.

I also noticed that the gain (11 position), increases the gain up to around the 7th position where it cuts it right down.

I'm 8 hrs into trying to figure this out, and nothing...

I am using vintage LO1166A and Marinair input. Used the five fish board on input.
I removed the original resistor, cap and jumper wires off the LO1166A. Didn't know if they were required.

I've done countless projects, so I'm very confident in all my solder joints.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Neil

edit - Jim helped me resolve the issue. I had the pins 180 degree out of position on all pots!  Everything works now and sounds wonderful! Thanks for the help and the great project

just got a pair of these built and working thanks to Jim(Bluzzi) and i love them. they are quiet and sound fabulous.

Hi Jim, any news on those 1290LE boards? I really want to get recording with those!

Thanks!

Back