Ground plane on pcb layout?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know a easier way to undo a ground plane??

i already did it but i want to go back.

using eagle of course.

just delete the polygon, click with the delete tool where you put the original lines of the polygon. then if you want make another polygon. Also you can use the ripup tool if you want just modificate the polygon.
remember to name it as GND.

[quote author="Ptownkid"] it's just more reliable [/quote]
:?:
Just curious, how do you mean this ?

Groundplane important for HF-stuff, but for audio in a decently shielded metal box it could needlessly add parasitics. Might not matter much (or anything at all), but might do so for certain Hi-Z nodes. As always, it depends.

Cheers,

Peter

[quote author="Ptownkid"]all i meant was that in a home etched board, it avoids a possible open because of thin traces.[/quote]
All clear :thumb:

But let it be added (again :oops: :cool: ) that there's this possible tradeoff between reliability & unnecessary buildup of capacitance. In other words: for certain traces the approach of making a trace by cutting away the surroundings (resulting in a big rectangle) isn't always optimal. At least make the gap/spacing) wide.

BTW, I finally heard Moto:rheads version of Enter Sandman... not mighty great but still fun :cool:

What about the esthetics? in a single layer simple layout , simple preamp....sorrounded by Input/Output transformers...few caps , few resistors...1 IC without the gound plane my layout seems pathetic....even though it's one of the best of my achievements...

Back