dead ddrum kick trigger

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

Have a dead piezo on my ddrums kick trigger. I want to replace this myself as ddrum does charge big cash for a replacement pu.
It looks like a litte part from a piezomix you find underneat the bridge of acoustics gtrs. Any info where I can score such at normal prices?

Yeah Bryson those would probably do just fine. You can buy them from mcminone.com , too as of a few years ago for next to nothing. They are about an inch and a half in dia. and make great drum driggers espcially if you pad them with a resistor of the appropriate value for your trigger brain box. This is exactly what yamaha made their earlier triggers from. I have used them myself for diy trigger pads with great success driving an alesis dm5.

gb

that will work if you can 'calibrate' sensitivity/threshold...I have an alesis drum synth that I made triggers for out of piezo buzzers from radio shack...they put out a lot of signal so the threshold needs to be set low.

I diy'd stuff with those long time ago....
The Ddrums are with a total different piezo, just have a look at this to understand. It is that very small thing on the blue foam what got damaged.

http://www.osc.drum-tec.de/images/Kategorien/D1600_Bass_Trigger.kl.gif

I had this problem with the ddrum snare trigger/s. As you might know the snare trigger is 2 in 1 (rim & head) and one of the wires had broken loose from the XLR connector. Easy fix

OK then; if the piezo element itself is bad rather than the broken wire mentioned above, the only other thing you might want to try is the long thin piezo element out of a ceramic phono cartrige. The problem you will have is how to make good electrical contact with it without destroying it.

The round type might be your beat bet for a kludge fix.

gb

Back