new builds

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphotodude

hello, I am new here..
Looking to do a few builds and just wanted any advice on revisions, links ect... before i get started..

Looking to do a Green Pre(or a few).
1176 compressor-which revision?
LA2A
SSL stereo Bus compressor
few tube mic pres ect...

I have been reading and looking at sites(such as gyraf, diy warehouse ect..)
There are just too many posts to read them all, so looking for any headsup or advice on these.

Kenneth

Hi

I'm pretty new here too. One thing I would say is that it's probably a good idea to stay away from anything involving tubes until you know what you're doing. There are very high voltages involved.

I would suggest as a first project, something like a Baby Animal. They are a relatively inexpensive build, and Joe Malone (JLM Audio proprietor) is very helpful if you run into any problems. Always read the meta and search first though.

I started with a BA and found it to be fairly straight forward. Oh! and it's a really great little preamp too :thumb: Good luck. :thumb:

If you are going to do your own boards, I would start with an original green pre. Pretty straight forward, not a lot of money invested incase you mess up.

i have made a few boards for the original green pre...just using peters layout and using the photo paper method. This was my test...havent tried to drill or assemble the board yet.
As far as tubes go...i build tube guitar amps for fun so i am not worried about that stuff so much.

One thing i was wondering is the differences between the original green pre and the v14 version....

Will the original green pre sound as good as mid end preamps?
(i have a bunch of AD and BB chips i will probally use on them).

What is the Baby Animal?

One thing i am confused about is the different revisions of the 1176 compressor.
There are some different revision floating around and i really don't know much about the differences between them.
Also the Purple Comp. Is that a different unit or a version of the 1176?

yea, the purple was a different take on them.

i think theres 3 diff 1176 available here, the Gyraf one and Mnats J are the same animal, but Mnats refined it a touch (afaik) and the D series i think is bassed on the earlier urie models.

i am building two J series at the moment, one is oep in and out the other is chip in oep out. i also have a D on the way.

they are a nice build, and with Tats cases you can quickly get a professional looking item together

Iain

what do you mean by oep and chip?
do you mean opamp?

i have been eyeing most of the projects at gyraf's page.

The deal is....
i dont have much for external recording equipt..mostly i work in the computer. I am hoping for a good input setup and a good mastering setup so i can master externally. I have a presonus dp mic pre...i put a rca blackplate 5751 in it...its okay. nothing special. I have an alesis 3630 that i upgraded the that chips and op amps in...its okay...nothing special.
I do have a GT55 mic, that i really do like(along with assorted other dynamic mics).

I have like 5 milkcrates full of transformers(line, output, power ect...all kinds of stuff for pre's, tube amps ect..) and access to parts and printing ect. I am pretty good with electronics, have been building tube amps for a bit. You dont want to know how many tubes i have....

Im good on parts, just not sure which things i should start on. Can make pcb or turret or tagboard ect...

I know nobody can really decide which things i need...just want a little insides on some good easy practical stuff.
thanks for the replies so far!

oep input and output xformers

and chip (black thingy with loads of legs) input.

decide what you want. 1176 dont do sterio very well. try an eq fist, there handy for mastering, or the 33609 from Igor/Tat

The Purple MC76 is a revision D/E clone. Revisions D and E are the BEST versions, (E is the same as D but with a multi-primary voltage power transformer being the only difference, not a sonic difference at all).

All revisions up to E require rare input transformers and 600Ω constant impedance attenuator... hard to source. Revisions F and later use easier to source parts, but are 'compromise' designs.

Keith

cool.
i have a bunch of line/split trannies i am going through...seeing if anything is close enough for a few things.

so the 1176 is mostly used for a line compressor rather than mastering?
i was thinking about using the ssl comp from gyraf's page for outboard mastering.
Maybe i will start off with a RevF 1176. Coming from a alesis 3630(modified or not)...shouldn't be hard to beat the pants off!

Are the v14 green pre's alot better than the original green pre?

[quote author="mrphotodude"]

Are the v14 green pre's alot better than the original green pre?[/quote]

The v14 has added features that don't affect the sound - like LED VU metering, phase and phantom switches onboard with LED indicators, etc.

The v14 also has bypass caps using small value polyesters parallel to large value electrolytics. This theoretically should affect the sound but many accounts I've read say there's no noticible difference.

I'd build a couple channels with the boards you already have. You'll be surprised how high end they actually sound.

Good luck!

SSL tech is right on the mark as usual. The Rev D 1176 is awesome. I have used the Purple one many times at other studios and was JEALOUS!!

The Mnats rev D is very close tho. Does the same stuff. Can't compare side by side tho. But I am super happy with it!!!! Obviously you build it the way ya like tho.

But the Purple is the project to measure up to. :thumb: If ya want a real rev D and true bypass AND a meter buffer etc. etc. It's worth buying an MC77! But if your like me and have some off time here and there and wanna learn some electronics then don't let me stop you from building a Mnats rev D!!

I use my Mnats every day and love it!

And Mnats rev D does it in a small package. Mako Rules!!!!

For preamps I would go straight to API clones myself. They sound good or great on anything. And you won't outgrow them.

Mastering is a job best left to people that specialize in that.

That being said I usually use software and hardware to punch a track up as a sample. But always give the mix separate. Not saying that most people don't love it...

I Offer Mastering here but I also offer true mastering by a couple guys in the city. And make no mistake about the difference.

They have clean ears. NEVER heard the tracks before. And have the Acoustics for just this. They are well equipped for someone that wants the best.

i decided to start with the green pre's v14.
I ordered some fr4 9x12" and some other parts...
will post how it turned out later on after assembling and testing.

mastering is a pain..but i like to learn how to do everything myself...even if it takes awhile. Have mastered a few albums wit T-rax...its fun.
My bud owns a studio that will do it for free, but wheres the fun in that?

Maybe i will try a purple...i was looking at my parts last night...no good trannies for that, but i found some t-pads,l-pads....maxipads...ect.

Stagefright13 said:
SSL tech is right on the mark as usual. The Rev D 1176 is awesome. I have used the Purple one many times at other studios and was JEALOUS!!

The Mnats rev D is very close tho. Does the same stuff. Can't compare quote]

What do you mean by close?If you use the ouncer & the T-pads it is virtually RevD right?

Is the comment that 1176's don't do stereo well related to linking them up, or matching transistors, or stray hum from the power tranny to the closer card? Please explain further?

[quote author="JW"]Is the comment that 1176's don't do stereo well related to linking them up, or matching transistors, or stray hum from the power tranny to the closer card? Please explain further?[/quote]

There's really no way to perfectly match the levels between 2 1176's.

Use them for tracking if you care about that. :) I don't - but I'm not a real mastering engineer.

Latest posts

Back