Tape restoration software?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

I've got a bit of work coming in which involves transferring old tape reels to digital audio. Some of the stuff is very old and done on domestic equipment. For example, I just transferred a wedding recorded in the 1950s!

I'm looking for ways to clean up the audio and wondered if anyone can suggest plug-ins or programs that can help remove hiss, hum and other artifacts.

My basic system is a protools 003 running on a mac, so I lean towards stuff that will run on that platform, but I'll consider other stuff too if it gets the job done without costing too much.

Thanks in advance for sharing your suggestions and experiences.

Cheers!
Stewart

+1 for RX.

I have it and use it offline (for super-detailed work) rather than as a plug-in, but I've tried it as a plug-in and it looks like it could be VERY handy!

Keith

Generally speaking , any program that allows you to " learn " or sample
the noise and gives you a difference key to hear only the noise that is
being removed are helpful . Waves have a couple , soundforge used to
have one not sure if it ported over to Sony .

Don't laugh, but I like Magix "Audio Cleaning Lab". I prefer it to the Waves. It's a "consumer" type program, but does very well with clicks and tape hiss I think. Haven't used the RX above.

Thanks guys - this is really really helpful. I'll check out those options. The izotope does look very good at first glance.

:thumb: :thumb:

I'm going to live with the demo version for a day or two, see how I get on. The interface is very slick. It has fourier transform written all over it - reminds me of the NMR spectrometer software I sued in an earlier life!

The de-clipper seems like it might be very useful if it can clean up distorted peaks on tape. (Might be a lifesaver for badly engineered bands too!)

:thumb: :thumb:

cedar makes some expensive but totally worth it plug in's for various platforms. Check out their retouch software. I think you can get it for other platforms other then Sadie now.

They are now pro tools compatible. check out retouch :twisted:

Back