Behringer B1 condenser mic schematics anyone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you post a pic of the internals, chances are the circuit looks familiar and someone might point you to one of the familiar China-mic schematics. Lots of cheapo mics use very similar circuits.

[quote author="Rossi"]If you post a pic of the internals, chances are the circuit looks familiar and someone might point you to one of the familiar China-mic schematics. Lots of cheapo mics use very similar circuits.[/quote]
Thanks, possible...I will tell him to took a pic's of the PCB :idea:

here are the pics of the "beast" ;-). Pics with parts and tracks ale aligned and rotated to drop into each other , so if someone try to trace don't have to bother with. I added the pics with capsule , maybe some of you can recognize the model . If capsule is worth of something maybe redesigning the electronics is the best solution ...don't know :?

PCB_1_parts.jpg

PCB_1_tracks.jpg

PCB_2_parts.jpg

PCB_2_tracks.jpg

front_mic.jpg

back_mic.jpg

[quote author="3nity"]It looks a lot like the Studio Projects B1[/quote]
Cool, any schemo or idea about?

PCB says "Beijing 797 Audio" - that's the manufacturer. They actually make some good stuff - I would't have expected Behringer to use that good manufacturing..

Looks like a 797 capsule to me - e.g. Røde.

Jakob E.

Looks like a 797 capsule to me - e.g. Røde.
That means that capsule can be worth of trying... Mike sounds bad, I mean really bad :? So, maybe some other electronics? BTW, can I measure capsule somehow? Does the capacitance means something ?

[quote author="3nity"]It looks a lot like the Studio Projects B1[/quote]

I just had a look at my Studio Projects B1 and it appears to be a very similar or identical circuit, same components, too.

Componentwise there's nothing to complain. Actually it's quite surprising to see WIMA caps in such an inexpensive mic. I don't think anybody has traced that circuit so far. It is probably a pretty clean and linear circuit. The backside PCB appears to be a DC converter for the capsule polarization.

I suppose the overall character is in the capsule, which, since it is a K87/K103 knock-off, has a substantial treble boost. In the U87 this treble boost is compensated by a filter circuit. But that's of course not all that separates the B1 from a Neumann. The TLM103 doesn't use a filter circuit either, still it sounds much better than a B1. It simply has a better capsule.

If it's really bad, maybe something is faulty?

Are those two big electrolytics in the signal path? If so it may be worth swapping them in case they've gone bad.

Be careful - the board will probably melt!

[quote author="zebra50"]If it's really bad, maybe something is faulty?

Are those two big electrolytics in the signal path? If so it may be worth swapping them in case they've gone bad.

Be careful - the board will probably melt![/quote]
I'm not sure about elcos, that's why I asked for schemo. No, it's not faulty, works normally but with ugly HF boost :evil:

K87 filters have been discussed here before. I agree about the Chinese high-end - it's pretty nasty, although I've just gone the route of not using those capsules.

[quote author="rodabod"]K87 filters have been discussed here before. I agree about the Chinese high-end - it's pretty nasty, although I've just gone the route of not using those capsules.[/quote]
Then, if conclusion is that capsule is guilty for HF it's time to give up....is that conclusion :wink:

Back