Remote Master Volume for DAW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonsOfThunder

Just to see if you guys are interested...

I'm slow on my DIY progress and I have a tendency to drag it out too long. But in the interest of inspiring others to try and before someone else implements this idea, I want to claim it as my own. :grin: I rarely have original ideas to share here.

Centr@l Station(CS), Big KNOB(BK), and others are cool, but I don't care for the implementation (or the price!) The BK has the features...too many for my use...but all the connectors are on the back, so every cable has to run to the box. I think its too messy on the desk. CS with the remote has the features and the physical implementation, but the price seems high for a passive box (for my economy), I don't like the idea of the signal running up and back thru that cable, and the meters would be useless in the rack.

So here's the idea:
1RU box in the rack with all the i/o connections. Actively buffered in and out with an OA (I intend to use SSM2275, think OP275, just because I have them!) Multiple sources in, though I haven't decided if I will switch it or just let them sum, with trim controls on each. Remote volume control would be accomplished thru quad SSM2164P VCAs in parallel per channel.

A 9-pin DSUB cable to a Remote volume control box that sits on the desk. This remote box sits on the desk and has a large master volume control, "dim" and "mute" switches.

This would be done UNbalanced, but could easily be adapted to balanced for your purposes.

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Peace!
Charlie

fum has a program he wrot for blue tooth where he can use his cel phone to control the play record function of his DAW

Wilebee

Wil

This is one of my backburner projects.

I have a number of PCB's and projects.
2150 to 2181 sort of things with single remote pot for stereo and Dim, Cut, Mono.

Also have a 1RU stereo talkback send with ducking talkback over the top. Duck level is set by a trim pot.

Please note that these units are THAT2150 base and some people think this is not good enough for master fader use. I think the operationally advantages of this sort of remote master control unit for DAW outweigh the disadvantages.

I have looked at BigKnob and although OK ... I think these guys miss the target.

They need to employ me as a consultant ... :green:

Wil,
That's almost funny! Thanks for sharing that! :grin:

Kev,
Should've known you'd be into this...the race is on between you and I to see who can get this done first. As my bro-in-law says, "I put the pro in procrastination! 2181 should be good to go on this project! I have no need for the TB function in my "studio".

And as far as "insertion losses/distortions" go: I have an AP at work. We'll see and know what we have added or not!

Keep that iron HOT!
Charlie

Charlie I dont know what funny about it. the fact that a didn't fully read the posting or that I can't F*@%ing type, but fum's program is a reality. If you have a bluetooth inabled cel phone and are the only one in the studio you won't have to run back and forth between the control room and the studio

[quote author="wilebee"]I dont know what funny about it. fum's program is a reality.[/quote] Wil, a solution to a practical problem, no doubt a good thing!
Funny from the standpoint of using a cell phone as a remote controller...just not a path of solution that people of my generation might think of?

Peace!
Charlie

:shock:

race ??

:roll:
err .... these things are already in service ... sorry.

Would you be willing to host the docs for this at DIYF?
Yep I'm happy to host any working DIY project.
go for it !

Sorry Kev, I misunderstood that these were completed projects of yours. So I am racing myself as all I have are parts and a prelim schem. I'll yell when I have something done, I guess.

Thanks!
Charlie

cool !!

:thumb:

I'll see if I can dig out some pictures of a switcher and a talk-back unit.
I'm sure it got a run at TT so there must be a picture or two somewhere.

Back