Tube Works Blue Tube (Chandler Tube Driver) pedal hum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailliw

Hello,

I bought a used Tube Works blue tube pedal and it hums pretty bad. :mad:

Here is a schematic of the Chandler Tube Driver made by the same guy (very similar design, I think).

http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/ggg_chandler_tube_driver.pdf

Could anyone point me to the most likely sources of hum?

Thanks,
William

the tube driver is a (dare I say) approaching "vintage" (80's right :))stomp box the HV filter caps in the power supply could be ailing and not filtering properly....

Tube Drivers are infamous for "hum" issues, there's a number of things that
you can do to limit this problem - if not remove it completely.

Get the AC connections out of the case completely, so off board 12v AC PSU.
You'll end up with a "Boss" type connection at the case with 12v AC on it.

As they stand, it's really too close to the circuit, so anything above 1/2 gain
and vol settings will include "hum"

Use shielded wire for all the switch to jack socket connections.
Use shielded wire for the volume ( circuit output ) connection.
Check all the ground wiring etc etc ....

Marty.

Thanks for the info..

I took out the transformer from the box and moved it around, it didn't have any effect on the hum.

I also added an earth ground connection to the inside of the case and semi-star grounded at one of the jacks, but that didn't do anything either.

Gonna mess around with the AC heaters, try them off a battery, see if that helps.

If I move the transformer out of the box, I can make some room for regulation. What a pain...

Thanks

Hi,

The TX next to the tube was indeed looking to be obne of the potential sources of hum, but like you, I tired to get it out of the pedal, tried giving the tube a shielding-helmet etc, but it didn't make much difference.

Be sure to check 'the sound' (...) before/after regulation. Perhaps we all may need to accept that these pedals can sure sound nice, but are hard to make them 'technically more healthy' - without losing 'the sound' (...): I 'healthified' the rackmount version of it, added/removed various stuff to make it more quiet etc and indeed, it doesn't hum anymore, isn't noisy, doesn't click on switching etc, but some of the groovy sound these things can have is gone :?

Bye,

Peter

Back