G9 "Audio Kitchen" Limited Edition (Pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Well this project has been 1 & 1/2 years in the making!

I started a G9 a couple years ago that I bought from Cannikin, then sold to Godders and vowed at some point to build a G9 of my own!!!

I was passing through London and after one of our infamous "DIY" get togethers at the Duke (Peter Purpose will forever be etched into my memory after his 'dancing' episode).

I received a set of G9 PCB's from Swedish Chef (Steve, you are awesome!) and I popped into his office the next day and spotted this rack case from a limited run he did (5 I think) and nabbed one off him.

I've been piecing this together bit by bit as money has come in and parts that were a little harder to find, to this degree I need to thank Neeno for helping me source the WIMA's and couple others I've traded parts with over the years. PeterC also saved the day with the missing 2 WIMA's I needed!

I decided to do something a little different and had a custom wound power trafo made to avoid the 2 trafo deal and modified the +48V rail to accept a full wave rectified +90VDC and it worked like a charm and will be putting pics of the mod up in the G9 help thread later.

She powered up first time, no problems! I did the Instrument/DI mod just in case she oscillated and all has been good bar a microphonic DI on the 2nd channel closer to the power trafo, but I've read that the control board is sensitive to this and prob needs to be shielded.

It is surprisingly quiet other than a slightly elevated hum on the channel closest to the power trafo, but more than acceptable for 90% of the task I'll be throwing at it... I have louder/older gear around.

I do note, as have others that there is an inherent low roll off, making it great for vocals and acoustic instruments but wouldn't be my go to for bass.

So without further a do... I present the G9 "Audio Kitchen" Edition.

G9_Front_Close.jpg

G9_Front_Alt.jpg

G9_Guts.jpg

G9_Wima.jpg

Lastly a big thanks to Jakob for a fun and potentially lethal project :thumb:

Cheers

Matt

Nice build :thumb:
I remember this frontpanel from the old place and it still looks awesome!!

Here a thread about a G9 with different trannies and different value poly's that's supposed to have a bigger low end....

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16699

most excellent!

I did notice something, your bench is awfully clean, I see only 1 little wire bit on the bench, otherwise it is as clean as your build! we will be needing your "Im a tech therefore messy" badge back. :razz: without the mess, the client/ boss wont know how hard you worked and will think this stuff easy!

[quote author="amorris"]most excellent!

I did notice something, your bench is awfully clean, I see only 1 little wire bit on the bench, otherwise it is as clean as your build! we will be needing your "Im a tech therefore messy" badge back. :razz: without the mess, the client/ boss wont know how hard you worked and will think this stuff easy![/quote]

Hah hah!!! No, that is the CLEAN PART of my workbench I just pushed the crap tot he sides and behind ti and cropped the photo to make it look a little more presentable :thumb:

Radiance and Peter, thanks for those links... seems I'm not alone, but also we don't' seem to have a definitive answer from Jakob either.... hmm... guess a little more 'play time' is needed for tweaks.

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="steppenwolf"]Super Matt!
Nice build. Looking back, I should have also used only one toroid...Only problems with two.
So, how do you like its sound?

Best,
Stefan[/quote]

Hi Stefan,

I've only had a about 20 mins to play with it, but it very sweet, harmonically rich with a nice air about it. I can def. see it getting some good 'play time' on vocals and ac. guitars... need to play with it more, but so far, so good.

Matt

Very nice!
Your stuff always looks so clean. I cant manage that as well as you even though i try and try, so I am definately impressed.

Great work!

/J

Amazing work my friend !
Super neat wiring and great arrangement inside the rack case.

Congratulations !

Let's hope jakob would chime in and tell us something about the loading on the secondary of the output trannie.

To start, try removing one of the 10K resistors in series with the secondary. I'm in holidays now (in sicily) so i don't remember the R number...

Congratulations again and again !

The link radiance pointed out should help you mod it for a better bass response. If you change the 4u7 cap on the cathode of V2a to 20u or higher it should help the bass response.

Latest posts

Back